Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im kind of a newbie when it comes to Rats But I was wondering something. I got Lilly a few months ago. Maybe June I think. She was an adoptee from Petco and the minute I looked at her face I knew she had to come home with me. I have had just her for quite some time now and the other day I went to petco and it happened again. It wasnt an adoptee but I looked into the medium male rat tank and there was this one hooded rat who as soon as seeing me and my bf walk up perked up and started getting real active. While all the others slept. He was just so awesome. So much personality. I felt the same way I had to have him. But I didnt get him. I figured I should ask people with experience first. SO I searched for a Rat Forum. I remember getting a lot of good advice from forums when I used to have Iguanas. So after all this talking I wanted to ask. If I were to get another rat. Would it be ok to have them in the same cage? I wouldnt want either one of them to get hurt or fight. Lilly has been on her own for a while I don't know if that will be a problem. From what I read rats like to have other rats around. And I want her to have some company when I am at work. But I dont know if she would be happy to have another one at this point. What do you think? What should I do?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Definitely find out how much spay / neuter for at least one of them would be first. It probably would benefit the female more since they tend to be prone to problems with lumps / tumors from their hormones and such.. and if thats the case, probably good to let her recover from the surgery first before obtaining or introducing a friend.

To say they breed like rabbits would be an understatement.. they can have a lot of babies at one time, I commonly hear about large litters.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if its two females I cant afford that right now. And I dont think it wise to let them breed. Plus I have always been a bit grossed out by male rats lol even though that one was awesome. But...yeah...uhg I dunno

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It's a very good idea to get your girl a friend. If you really like the male you need to get her spayed. As mink mentioned it's more of a benefit for the female to be fixed. Don't forget about proper QT and Intros. If you have a friend who can look after the male for 3-4 weeks that would be best for QT. Otherwise opposite ends of the house is best.

If you don't want to spend the money for a spay then find her a female friend but don't put a male and a female together. An oops litter (if taken care of properly) can cost a small fortune. Many members (including myself) have been there, and while the kittens are uber cute it's way to stressful monetarily and emotionally for a person who is still new to rats.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'll let more seasoned members handle that one, most of my experience is spanned over years where I've only been allowed one rat at a time, and when I had 2 males I had no idea they could possibly live together. I mostly lived by what the 2 pet rat books I could find said. Someone should really gather all the stuffs on this site and make an awesome book. Right now I have Kane, but from now on until forever I plan to always have pairs of rats.

I really want 2 males badly lol. But right now my dog is getting older and more expensive, my parents would slaughter me if I got any more animals at all.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh see now thanks!!!! You guys helped out a lot! I am gonna read up a lil more. I will most likely go with a female I really wouldnt want to end up with a bunch of babies that I cant raise properly.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I dont think it wise to let them breed.
You hit the nail on the head. Aside from the money and stress it will put on your and your rat (again personal experience) it's never a good idea to breed rats unless you are a certified breeder who had a mentor. The purpose of breeding is to make the lines better and healthier.

I wouldn't get a rat from a breeder first though, and despite the fact that my first two ratties came from a pet store (love them dearly) i wouldn't go to a pet store first either. I would look to see if there are any rescues in your area. There are plenty of ratties that need good homes in rescues. If you can't find a close enough rescue it's possible to arrange a train.

I think adopting another female sounds right for you.
http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3991.html
this is a nicely summed up version of what you need to know about QT and INTROS.

edit: uhh it's late

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I just read it. Now im a lil nervous about getting another one. How long do u have to quarantine for? and hoe long for each type of introduction?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
QT is three weeks after the last sign of illness, so if your shows signs of illness in the middle of QT you basically have to start again.

Intro time really just depends on the rats. It may only take a few days if they don't show any aggression during the first steps but it may take a lot longer. It's also possible two rats might not get along but that's not usually the case. It's always easier to introduce a young rat to an older one.

I've had two experiences that were complete opposite from one another. I successfully and rapidly introduced a new rat to my mischief but I was unable to introduce a very special rattie, and she had to go live with my boyfriends sister :(.

It really just goes to show you never can tell how these things will work out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts