Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sister rats (about nine months old, but they're pet stores rats so it's hard to say) and have been considering adding a third, young female to the group. Websites that allow you to enter the size of your cage to determine how many rats you can house have informed me I can comfortably fit three, so I wouldn't be able to add a fourth (as in, get a pair of young rats). In your opinions, would it be a good idea to add a single young rat to the established sisterhood, or no? The reason I've been contemplating it is because I've done some reading which suggests that trios often do better than duos.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I had no troubles adding serenity to penny and aris and they were much older than that provided you do proper intros it shouldn't be an issue IMO what ended up happening with serenity is she followed penny around and did everything she did it was rather adorable....I also think the petstore sold her to me WAAAAAY young (she still had baby fluff for a couple weeks after I got her) so maybe she was still looking for a mom....but even adding lilith and river a couple weeks later (they weren't together in the store) was not an issue

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If the max for your cage is 3 rats, you may want to reconsider adding a third or consider a different cage if you do want to add more. I'm a firm believer in not filling a cage to its max, especially with females.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply! What I've actually decided to do is purchase a new cage (I'm getting a gently used two story critter nation cage for a great price), and am going to add a pair of young ones to my established pair once I have the new cage. I've been doing a bit of research on intros so hopefully all will go well.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Sounds like a great plan! My girls love their DFN, so I'm sure your little ladies will be perfectly content in a DCN

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had a little trouble with introducing 2 new girls with my already established 2 girls. Though I think it all depends on your ratties. One of my girls is a dominant little bugger so the introductions took a few weeks. Just remember the most important thing, in my opinion, is constant supervision play time in an unfamiliar place for all the rats (like a bath tub). Then when they get comfortable with each other you can try a little bit more of a familiar place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts