Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently have two 16 week old boys and are considering adding two more to the mischief in the new year. I know we'd have to quarantine the new boys, how long is suggested? And what kind of temporary cage do people suggest for the babies during this time?I'm thinking waiting until our boys are around 6 months before we add new babies of 8-10 weeks. Any tips for introducing boys of these ages?Our bond with the boys is amazing and I'm excited at the possibility of adding two more to the family. Silly question really but are there any downsides to having four rather than two? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, more poop.

We have four girls. We started with two. We got a third about a month in. Then about 9 months later, we added our fourth. I think we're really going to have to stop there. That is our limit.

But the downsides aren't that bad. We have to clean the litter a little more often. We have to check the food to make sure they don't run out. And when we close the cage, we have to count four heads. There's a greater chance that one of them went on an adventure, and we have to pull her back.

But the upside is nice. Another rat to play with is fun. And they have a lot more options. Consider that two rats only have one relationship. Three rats have three relationships. And four rats have six relationships! So there is a greater group dynamic in the cage. Someone is feeling introverted and wants to sleep alone? Well, the other rats can huddle. Someone doesn't want to play? That other rat might want to.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There not too bad downsides really, are they? Haha :) I really do love the idea, I think you may have gotten rid of any doubts. Our cage can fit 5 rats in but I'd think 4 would be our limit. Extra hammocks are needed!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We were going to get just one to add, but I think we settled on a pair so the new one would have company during quarantine and a brother he already knew. Figured he wouldn't be quite so scared then!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts