Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just yesterday I got a new cage for my girls, its enormous compared to their last one that was pretty much the minimum amount of space you'd want for two rats.
Well today I stuck em in there for the first time and honestly, they seem freaked out.. Maybe they're just exploring but they seem like they might more nervous as they're occasionally darting from corner to corner and chewing at the bars..
The cage wasn't second hand or anything so its not like it smells like strange animal and I've got some of their stuff from their old cage in there so I don't know why they'd be so nervous..

Any thoughts on this? Is this normal? How long will it take for them to get used to it?

·
Registered
227 Posts
They will some time to get used to the new space, maybe, toss in some old toys that have a familar smell , they are more like us humans, move into a bigger place, there alot of exploring to do,,, keep reassuring them,,,spoil them extra treats for a day,

·
Registered
908 Posts
They can be hyper acting when first moved into a new cage. Give them a couple days to settle and if they are still acting strangely, you might want to wash the cage and try again (maybe there's some chemical smell or something?).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine got a new cage a few months ago and they ran all over the place exploring! They loved it. They were at it for hours and still today every time I clean the cage (and move things about so they are never the same so they don't get bored) they still run around exploring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts