Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This situation does not apply to me, but I'm curious for the future.

If I were to take a rat from another person who only had one rat, would quarantine be necessary? I don't see why, as they have already been in a separate air space for three weeks.

I had a similar situation when I adopted two of my rats from a girl off of Craig's List. I went ahead and quarantined them, but now I wonder if that was really necessary.

Any thoughts? I think this question only applies in a situation where someone has, say, two rats and you are taking both from them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: Adopting a rat from another person - Quarantine necessar

Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm actually looking into adopting a rat or two from someone I found on Craigslist. While I'm sure the babies will be healthy and fine, I'm not going to take any chances. The last thing you want to do is find out the rats have some delayed illness and now you have to take everyone to the vet. That would be a very bad surprise.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Well, the problem is the unknowns...

Did someone come into the house that has rodents in the last 3 weeks?
Are there other rodents in the house?
Was the rat exposed to someone who'd been to a pet store (which could even be a random visitor)?
Was the rat taken to a pet store in the last 3 weeks?
Has the rat been in the same house for more than 3 weeks?
Was there another rat within the last 3 weeks that died?

Etc. Always better safe than sorry, as Macabri said.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Kimmiekins said:

Now hold on one minute here.... we all talk about how often we all go into pet stores to see the cuties (and get a case of GGMR), get food, get hammocks, etc. etc. etc.

So what exactly are you saying about people going into pet stores? :?

We all do it and we all have ratties.... :p

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

It also depends on if you can trust them. Some random person off of Craigslist and I'd wonder about their perceptions of health. Someone I felt I could trust or a rescue or somesuch and I'd be more likely to accept the health of the rat.

Then, SDA and sendai aren't nearly as prevelant here as in other places. :?

·
Registered
407 Posts

rattikins said:
Kimmiekins said:

Now hold on one minute here.... we all talk about how often we all go into pet stores to see the cuties (and get a case of GGMR), get food, get hammocks, etc. etc. etc.

So what exactly are you saying about people going into pet stores? :?

We all do it and we all have ratties.... :p
WHich is why you should allow for a 3 hour time limit between the time when you leave the store and return home. AND when you return home, you should strip off any clothng, shwer and change before handling your sweeties.

I got some valuiable advice from a reputable breeder/rescuer from another forum Im on - she advised to consider that every person I come into contact wiht as possibly having ebola - how would I protect my family upon returning home? Ive done that and I have to say...we dont have the sneezies and such like we used to have in my own colony.

Its something to think about..

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Yep, you got it DFW.

A lot of rat owners actually DON'T shop at pet stores. We try not to, we order from the internet or buy from non-pet selling stores. If we go to any pet store, we follow the persisant quarentine procedures... Change of clothes and shower when we get home, blowing noses before returning home, and not going home for 3 hours.

A part of persistant quarentines is not shopping at pet stores that do have rodents, or could even have people shopping there that have sick rodents at home.

Here's the rundown for persistant quarentine (http://ratguide.com/health/basics/quarantine.php):

Persistent Quarantine
Once a colony is determined to be in good health a persistent quarantine scenario can help keep it that way. In addition to the stand new rat quarantine there are additional recommendations that you can follow:

* Avoid pet stores that sell rats.
* Do not handle rats at pet stores or shelters.
* Have fellow rat fanciers wash up before visiting.
* If you are exposed to outside rats, clean up as soon as you return home or wait awhile before going into your home. SDA and Sendai will only remain contagious when away from the host for approximately 3 hours.
* Avoid housing rats in areas where wild rats have access.
* Avoid taking your rats to rat inclusive events.
* Avoid constantly adding to your colony. It is safer to get rats less often and quarantine them well.
* If showing rats quarantine them at a separate location before returning them to the colony

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Wow, I'd never heard of any of that. Now I'm very glad I made this topic!

·
Registered
330 Posts

I think its allways safer to quraintine even if it was adopted from someone with another rat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts