Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two onths I've contacted several different folks about adopting rats. Alfie was my only successful communication, I've contacted several people about "oopsies" litters and at some point in the communication they stop responding. One person was going to send me pictures of the boys she had and then never did. One responded to my initial email, but never to any others. And just this week, I had a girl agree to sell me two weaned boys, and the next day back out for a supposed illness (there's more shady actions on her part, which is the only reason I say a supposed illness). It has been very, very frustrating getting poor Alfie a couple of cage mates, and I am in contact with yet another person about a littler. This last person was actually referred to me by an admin of a group on FB, so I'm hoping with the referral, and the long conversation I had with the seller I'll actually be successful this time around.

So... Has anyone else had a difficult time obtaining ratties from private sellers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in the UK and I actually got in touch with my breeder through Gumtree. They couldn't have made it any easier really and even sold me the cage and a carrier to go with them. It also worked out brilliantly because he had handled the babies straight away and they were so tame and friendly :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I've had similar problems in the past. I think it came down to me asking too many questions about their health and environment which they either couldn't or didn't want to answer. If you try a good breeder or rescue, you may have better luck since most of them will pretty much expect you to ask those questions and would probably be suspicious if you didn't. Try to find one close that you can go directly to to pick up your rats; I've heard horror stories about long drives and no one showing up even though the contact was from a reputable rescue.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Sure, been there and done that... Privately adopting rats is an adventure. For the most part, if it's going to work out you want to move as fast as you can. Find the rat, get in your car and go see it, if it's the right rat for you close the deal and walk out with your rat in tow...

The more you communicate and the longer you draw things out the more likely you are of the arrangement going south. No two rat owners are likely to agree on any single thing for too long.

You see, private rat sales are like two crazy people having a meeting of the minds, it does happen, but it only lasts for so long. Then your brand of crazy and her brand of crazy start to conflict and the deal is dead.

As rats don't sell for a whole lot of money, you generally meet at the sellers convenience, so when the window of opportunity opens you have to be ready to drop everything else and dive through.

My initial conversation sounds a lot like this...

"I'm looking for a female rat with natural eye color, fur, an outgoing, calm and friendly personality about 3 to 6 weeks old (as in not pregnant yet). Do you have one?"

"Yes."

"I'll be right over, or where would you prefer we meet? Thanks, Bye"

Just about anything else you say or the other person says can queer the deal.

Best luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never really gotten past the point of "Do you have any males you can send pictures of" with the past inquiries. The person that I was referred to from the FB group and I talked for a while last night on FB messenger, more getting to know one another and talking about our current ratties. I had a few questions (I've learned when dealing with private sellers to ask less "invasive" questions if I want to get anywhere.) for the current breeder and he was happy to answer all of them, showed him pictures of Alfie and my current cage set up, as well as the quarantine cage. I'm feeling more confident about this transaction than any of the others.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I hope everything works out this time!

Along the lines of things-going-wrong-while-adopting, when I went to pick up my most recent babies I under estimated the time and gas it would take me to get there, got lost, was an hour late, and my car broke down on the way back. Cost me $800 and a headache to get the car fixed... all because I was adopting 2 baby rats lol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy wow Paige.. that sounds awful!!! Where were you going? The pair I'm getting I'm going up towards the Pocono's - which is about 2.5 hrs away for me... It'll definitely be a weekend trip, and the next two weekends are out since I have stuff going on.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Somewhere near Chambersburg. And I broke down near Ephrata. It was 2.5 hrs one way for me and I definitely dont mind the driving it was the fact that I had an unreliable car that was frustrating!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i can only imagine how frustrating that was!! your two ratties turned out to be some expensive pups!!!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
A 5 hour round trip at least 3 weeks in the future, in midwinter in the Poconos and that's without actually even seeing the rats to decide if they are right personality-wise (the most important part of the decision)

I do wish you every success and luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts