Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: Adorable fat rat

On one hand it's adorable.... on the other I'm rather concerned about the rats weight =/

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

yea...adorable how he loves the music and is just veggin there, but I do believe the rats health weightwise is not a good thing.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

wow! that's a big rat!

·
Registered
229 Posts

That's so cute. :3
My younger brother plays guitar really well, but my future ratties will never get to hear how well, because I live on the other side of the country from him and the rest of my family.

Was that rat bruxing in the last scene?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yea, you could see her muscles moving from the bruxing and the boggling for just a bit:)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Cute, and adorable with the boggling, but oh so obese. My thought is also that she may be a Zucker rat, but I would assume not under treatment, given her size. Her poor body... Zucker rat or not, she needs a strict diet and (if a Zucker) treatment.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

ok, maybe my mind is just fried from all the exams (just finished my last one too-WOOT!) but i can't for the life of me remember what a zucker rat is let alone what treatment it would need. what comes to mind is a genetically obese rat with an illness of something that i can't remember.... can anyone help me refresh my memory here?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Zucker rats are a substrain that have a faulty leptin receptor - which is a molecule that binds the receptors in the hypothalamus. The rat never feels full, because the leptin can't bind to faulty receptors. So the rat eats and eats. They often (or always? I'm not sure completely...) have type II non-insulin-dependent diabetes. Also, heart, lung and bone/joint problems. Much the same as extremely obese humans.

·
Registered
981 Posts

Kimmiekins said:
Zucker rats are a substrain that have a faulty leptin receptor - which is a molecule that binds the receptors in the hypothalamus. The rat never feels full, because the leptin can't bind to faulty receptors. So the rat eats and eats. They often (or always? I'm not sure completely...) have type II non-insulin-dependent diabetes. Also, heart, lung and bone/joint problems. Much the same as extremely obese humans.
Nerd!

·
Registered
520 Posts
My rats do that. They love it.

Anyway, Kimmiekins, I had never heard of a Zucker (is that what you said?) rat.

I recently adopted a rat named Sam and she is OBESE. When I adopted her, she weighed over 25oz and she has barely lost any weight.

She is on a diet, doesn't get treats, etc. She also exercises every day.

I have been blowing through food like I have never seen. I have to ration her food, because if I don't, she will eat as much as my OTHER THREE RATS all by herself.

Gah.

I work with vets and none of them had ever mentioned it. But then again, they work mostly with dogs and cats.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Could be a Zucker. I've never seen one in person myself, but you might want to do a Google search. Zucker rats is what you'd look for. Might test her for diabetes... It may indicate something. I honestly don't know HOW one realizes a rat is a Zucker, but you may find something about it in searches. I believe you can find a diet for Zucker rats. There's certain things that I think you'd want to keep them from eating. They're fascinating from a scientific standpoint... They use them in labs for finding out about obesity, heart disease and diabetes. It's almost like compulsive overeater's, though with the rats, the problem isn't psychological, it's physical.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Interesting. When I have more time, I will google it. If you want, I'll send you some of the more interesting info...

:D Thank you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts