Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rat, Wally who has a history of biting and gets aggressively defensive. I've worked with him on trust training to the point where he will now hang out with me, climb on my lap, and get his ears and back scratched/stroked, but he does not want to be picked up or handled (runs if he can, fights back if he can't). I've been giving him health checks by getting him to climb his cage bars and checking out his belly/under area while they're exposed to me. He has what I think is an abscess on the underside of his balls, but I haven't been able to examine, feel, or treat it since he'll instantly jump down from the cage bars if he feels me touch his underside (as opposed to more docile rats whose abscesses I've been able to easily treat and they heal within a week). I'm not even sure how to take him to a vet he reacts so poorly to anything new (God forbid his cage mate Darwin play around in water for a bit or take a bath and come out smelling different 🙄 They have to be separated for half a week for him to stop trying to kill Darwin).

Advice on getting a temperamental rat to calm down enough for a medical check without getting bitten? I've already tried thick gloves, but they freak him out more, and he attacks the gloves while wriggling out of my clumsy grasp.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Give him a treat while he is on your lap? Maybe gloves? Vets will push through the biteyness(?).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts