Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I left home at 7 AM, and got back at 11 PM and saw that my rats were on my bed lying there...dead. :'( I had forgotten to turn on the a/c. I feel so horrible. I've been crying about this all day long. I was up until 4 AM, and had been talking with my mom until 1 AM. How long will this take to heal? I have the image of them dead on my bed still and it burns. As well as seeing them lying there in the bag. Even their eyes halfway shut. I feel horrible. Writing this down brought me to tears yet again.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I empathize. I say "empathize" rather then sympathize because I once made a mistake that resulted in the death of a loved pet. I know how horrid you feel. It happened many years ago and I still feel pain and guilt. All I can say to you is that we are human and we will make mistakes, but we have to forgive ourselves, learn from our mistakes and go on.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Do you know how warm it got in your room? I would think it would take temps in the 90s to cause death. The room my rats are in occasionally gets around 80f during the summer and I have not seen any signs of stress other than drinking more water.
I am sorry for your loss. No one can tell you how long it will take to get over, I'd just use it as a learning experience and I'm sure it will motivate you to be more careful next time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't know how warm it was, but it was warm enough for them to overheat. I knew that rats could die if they were overheated long enough, but I seriously can't believe that it would end up killing them...I've been crying about it for a few days now, and the image of them on my bed just...lying there is so painful. I'm doing better now, but I feel so ashamed and guilty for what I did. I do understand that it was a mistake and I need to forgive myself, but it just hurts. I really do want a new rat, but I feel like if I got one now, my first rats would probably think it mean and unfair (but that's my childish mind thinking that), but I know I'm in too much pain still to get one and my finances need to be fixed first. I have been going to Petsmarts and holding fancy rats and dumbo rats to tell myself that it's ok and everything is fine. I'm not sure if this is a good thought, but what I told myself was that animals and humans are just a spirit (or whatnot) and their body is just a shell and the spirit is what's the most important and that once their bodies are gone, they are no longer there. I'm not sure if that's really true, but I tried telling myself that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts