Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this actually started the other day. ****** my one boy had a cracked tooth (upper left) and his breathing seemed off/fast again. The breathing started a while/few months ago and I gave them some antibiotics prescribed by a vet and it seemed to stop. The vet didn't seem too concerned, told us to try a steamy bathroom. I called vet today after he cracked the tooth and for the breathing, and ****** seemed less interested in treats. Like, would take them but wouldn't eat them or would eat them later. But he was eating regular food and drinking.

Unfortunately my vet isn't in until Monday. And another one I called gave me some advice to try some baby food (among other things) they also don't have appointments until September.

My sister was over and took them out for a little while and Blacky my other boy unfortunately passed away suddenly with his brother which now leaves ****** alone.

What should I do from here? I'd definitely be down to purchase more but unfortunately there are no decent ratteries/breeders nearby. I could go to a trusted pet store and pick up a friend-two by tomorrow easily at the earliest. I don't want ****** to be alone - but should I wait? Maybe call the vet tomorrow or on Monday? I'm generally at a loss here. This is my first time experiencing a loss (of a rat). My primary concern is ****** and making sure he's comfortable.

He ate a spoonful of baby food and drank a bunch of water. Right now he's lying on my leg. His breathing seems kind of crackly.

If I do pick up some new rats I believe after reading a guide they should quarantine and stay from each other for at least a week? Any tips on what to do in the meantime?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm so sorry about Blacky, that's got to be hard for everyone. My advice would be to focus on ****** and get his health up before getting a new friend for him. Give him lots of company and healthy treats like broccoli and berries to maximize his immune system.
Ultimately, the vet will know best, so I would get in touch with them on Monday.
I wish you luck with everything, I'm so sorry you're going through this!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts