Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around Saturday I noticed Kiwi was very lethargic and wouldn’t move at all.. She was still eating a bit but she was eating very slowly it took her like 3 mins to eat a cheerio! Sunday we started monitoring her more closely and realized she wouldn’t eat or drink anything and she wouldn’t poop at all. It looked like she would try to poop but it hurt so we thought maybe she had a blockage but i think we ruled that out since she’s pooping again. We massaged her tummy for a bit and she was able to poop just a little. We tried giving her baby food etc and she wouldn’t have any of it. We had to put water in a syringe for her to get some liquid. You could tell she was in a great deal of pain because she was all puffed up, squinting, and when she would move she would do the “owie stretches”
So luckily we were able to get to the vet but our vet is not really experienced with rats and that’s the only one near our area unfortunately. He said there wasn’t much he can do and he doesn’t know what’s going on except try a few meds and see what happens but he said she probably needs put down. He gave us clavamox, prednisone, metoclopramide, and gabapentin. We’ve been giving them to her and she seems to improved a bit, walking around but very slowly, less squinting and puffiness, and will actually eat quite a bit of baby food and pooping a little bit. Today I tried giving her some peas and she will eat them but very slowly and kind of looks like it hurts to eat them? And when she yawns its kind of like half of a yawn and doesnt open fully. We’ve had a bit a few assumptions on what could be going on but it’s not clear (she fell and hurt her back, stroke, internal tumor etc) Does anyone have any advice on what this could be or any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I’m not sure if she’s appearing to be better because of the steroids and pain medicine. Once we go off of those will she just decline again? I feel terrible and I'm not sure if i should wait it out on the meds or just say goodbye.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I’d like to add that this is the only vet anywhere NEAR us that will take rats. They claim to be exotic vets but could not do any real diagnostic testing on her since they don’t have the proper tools for rats.

· Registered
335 Posts
Around Saturday I noticed Kiwi was very lethargic and wouldn’t move at all.. She was still eating a bit but she was eating very slowly it took her like 3 mins to eat a cheerio! Sunday we started monitoring her more closely and realized she wouldn’t eat or drink anything and she wouldn’t poop at all. It looked like she would try to poop but it hurt so we thought maybe she had a blockage but i think we ruled that out since she’s pooping again. We massaged her tummy for a bit and she was able to poop just a little. We tried giving her baby food etc and she wouldn’t have any of it. We had to put water in a syringe for her to get some liquid. You could tell she was in a great deal of pain because she was all puffed up, squinting, and when she would move she would do the “owie stretches”
So luckily we were able to get to the vet but our vet is not really experienced with rats and that’s the only one near our area unfortunately. He said there wasn’t much he can do and he doesn’t know what’s going on except try a few meds and see what happens but he said she probably needs put down. He gave us clavamox, prednisone, metoclopramide, and gabapentin. We’ve been giving them to her and she seems to improved a bit, walking around but very slowly, less squinting and puffiness, and will actually eat quite a bit of baby food and pooping a little bit. Today I tried giving her some peas and she will eat them but very slowly and kind of looks like it hurts to eat them? And when she yawns its kind of like half of a yawn and doesnt open fully. We’ve had a bit a few assumptions on what could be going on but it’s not clear (she fell and hurt her back, stroke, internal tumor etc) Does anyone have any advice on what this could be or any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I’m not sure if she’s appearing to be better because of the steroids and pain medicine. Once we go off of those will she just decline again? I feel terrible and I'm not sure if i should wait it out on the meds or just say goodbye.
Did the vet take and bloods or an xray or anything?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the vet take and bloods or an xray or anything?
No unfortunately I stated previously that they told me they don't have the proper tools to do any diagnostic testing like that on rats even though they claim to be "exotic vets" and this is the only vet anywhere near me willing to take rats. I was just hoping anyone who had a similar situation could maybe give me some ideas.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sorry it's been awhile since you posted this. I've been offline for awhile. Do you have updates on this right now?
Yes! Kiwi has been doing much better than previously but is still not 100%. She currently is only taking clavamox and prednisolone. She will eat some baby food and some soft vegetables but she will not drink out of a water bottle still. She seems to be in less pain than days ago and will move around quite a bit and go to the litter box and poop just fine now. She's less puffed up and her eyes have returned to normal. The only thing which seems to be concerning to me is she wants to eat solid food but when I give it to her she can't manage to do it or is VERY slow. Even a soft noodle the other day she only ate a few bites out of it which took a WHILE. The vet said her teeth looked normal so i'm not sure if its a teeth issue. Most of what I've seen is that she could've had a stroke it seems quite similar to that but I don't know it sucks I don't have a good vet around here.

· Registered
746 Posts
Maybe she doesn't want to drink from a bottle. Try getting a bowl for her to drink from, put a stone inside the bowl so she doesn't knock it over(scrub the rock and boil it for 15 minutes first). It's possible she might be a special needs rat for the rest of her life if something happened to her.
I personally would talk to the vet and discuss the options of putting her down since her quality of life may suck. Of course, it's up to you to consider that as an option.
I'm not sure what could be going on with her.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe she doesn't want to drink from a bottle. Try getting a bowl for her to drink from, put a stone inside the bowl so she doesn't knock it over(scrub the rock and boil it for 15 minutes first). It's possible she might be a special needs rat for the rest of her life if something happened to her.
I personally would talk to the vet and discuss the options of putting her down since her quality of life may suck. Of course, it's up to you to consider that as an option.
I'm not sure what could be going on with her.
Thank you as the days go on, her symptoms seem to be neurological to me and is starting to show signs that she might just have a PT tumor. As much as it breaks my heart we will probably (unless anything changes) get her put down once the vet opens back up after Christmas because her quality of life isn’t good at all.

· Registered
746 Posts
I'm sorry you have to go through this. Give her lots of love while you can. I like to give my rats treats they normally wouldn't get like chocolate and other candies. I also suggest getting a pint plant because rats like to rub the leaves on themselves (they like the smell).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.