Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, looking some advice please re my rat Georgie
He's about 5 months old, and I noticed earlier that his head was tilted slightly to the left. When I came home from work my housemate said she had noticed him messing with his left ear alot, so its sounding like some kind of ear infection. Obviously I will be taking him to the vets ASAP, but I don't know when I'll be able to get an appointment to fit around work if I can't get him in tomorrow morning. He's fine in himself, still eating and getting around etc, looks happy enough. Any advice in the meantime? I do have baytril left over from last time one of them was poorly, but don't like to give it without being advised by vet.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id put him on baytril now, it is the antibiotic of choice for most Ear infections. The earlier you treat the less perminant damage it will do. I'd still get him to a vet as adding in steroids as well is the best combo and you need a good course of antibiotics but if you explain to the vet most are fine with you starting then on something whilst you get them an appointment. Especially this time of year

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, managed to get him in at the vets this morning so he is home with medication, not that he wants to take it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
581 Posts
My Neera just got over her ear infection. My last vet didn't give me enough but my new vet gave me three weeks of medication for her and it knocked it back really well. She has a permanent head tilt but she seems much healthier and happier now that the ear infection is gone. :3 I wish you and your rat well! <3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts