Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so seems like a silly question.... My 2 bicker and are not the best of friends so I thought maybe adding 2 more would be a good plan, ideally the same age. So I have found some rescue rats I could adopt, I have met them once but though they were lovely and super friendly I didn't feel a connection to either of them like I have to others in the past.

Also this week my pair seem to have been fighting less and I have had less time to give them so I don't want to risk reducing their time when I'm really only getting new ones for them. I'm sure I'd bond with the new ones to a degree but I'm just not sure whether or not it's the right thing. I don't want to let the rescue lady down though so don't know what to do.... Any thoughts? Whatever I am always a diligent rat mum so they will have a good home but would it be the best....

·
Registered
952 Posts
Do you have room for 2 more? Adding more made Kaboose and Marlowe get along better. Have you tried the carrier method with them? It kind of forces them to deal with their issues if its dominance they are fighting for. Do you have the ability to take care of 4? I have quite a few now and its draining to clean the cages, spend time with them (have to do it in 3 different groups) do chores, work, and spend time with my husband...Are you able to take them back to the rescue if things dont work out?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've heard that adding more rats can help a mischief be more comfortable. It allows for more personality and if one o the rats is really hyper and is always bothering the lazier one, wanting to play, it can cause some rifts. However, if you add in another hyper rat for the original, then they won't bother the lazier one as much. This can solve some dispute between a pair of rats and can be helpful. It really depends on how well you think introducing will go and if you can find rats to form a bond with. If you think the two you went to see will work, you can get those or you can look elsewhere. Have you tried craigslist and other such sites?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for replying. Yes I have space, I have a spare cage for quarantine and slow intros. And my standard cage is max. 6 I think.... I found my older girls were better as a 4 and these 2 were better when they had the 2 older girls but once 1 of them passed away the dynamic just went to pot. I would like to get rescues I think, just fairer plus can get girls the same age. I'm glad other people have found the same with larger mischiefs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts