Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at Petsmart, and recently took home a young male dumbo rat. He was attacked another rat in the same cage, and had to be in our "hospital room" for a couple of weeks for medication, thus me becoming attached to him. However, he is still very skinny and hunches over when he walks. I thought this may be an effect from the medicine, or stress from the attack, but I have been trying to put weight on him and he refuses most foods, except his typical diet. I have tried the yogurt drops, and he only takes a few bites, I have tried peanut butter, apple sauce, kitten milk replacer, and nothing that would normally help him gain weight is appealing to him. He has some chub around his belly, but his rib cage is concerningly noticable when handling him. Also, you can actually see his "man bits" (to put in non-graphical terms) which I have never really seen visible on a male rat before. Is this normal? I kind of think not. Has anyone else had this problem? He is very sweet, constantly licking and snuggling. In fact, right now he is cuddled against my neck grinding his teeth. I just don't want anything to happen to him.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Have you taken him to a vet? Rats shouldn't hunch when they walk, they're meant to be long and lean. Do you have pictures of him (from the side and the top)?

Will he take baby formula? (Human soy or esbilac?)

Try not to give him peanut butter unless you dilute it out, some rats have choked on it.

As for the man bits you should DEFINITELY see them. :lol:

If you aren't seeing them in the store, how young are the rats you sell?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forensic said:
Have you taken him to a vet? Rats shouldn't hunch when they walk, they're meant to be long and lean. Do you have pictures of him (from the side and the top)?

Will he take baby formula? (Human soy or esbilac?)

Try not to give him peanut butter unless you dilute it out, some rats have choked on it.

As for the man bits you should DEFINITELY see them. lol

If you aren't seeing them in the store, how young are the rats you sell?
As for "man bits" I mean his actual penis. I haven't seen them on other rats, and he is the 5th one I have owned throughout my years :). All the rest were males.

·
Registered
208 Posts
CassiePoo said:
As for "man bits" I mean his actual penis. I haven't seen them on other rats, and he is the 5th one I have owned throughout my years :). All the rest were males.
My boys have been indecent and flashed me their 'man bits' as you put it a few times. Usually when they are cleaning their little man bits up, they'll be almost in the rolled up ball pose cleaning away then look up at me and well hello, have some decency boys! :oops:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If the penis looks swollen, check it for a waxy substance... It may be plugged up. Else, yes, I can find the penis on all my boys. :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Hmmm...his penis is protruding all the time? And he's hunched when he walks?

Sounds like paraphimosis. He could have a penis plug that is causing a blockage, and a UTI (urinary tract infection). You need to check him for a plug. Paraphimosis can be a severe condition. It can actually kill them. He sounds like he needs a vet and possibly antibiotics. If he was in the early stages I have heard you can coax it back in with a lubricant but if its been out for awhile, you may have real problem :(

http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/paraphimosis.php

1 - 7 of 7 Posts