Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again! Okay, so i'm going to be getting my first rats soon, but it will be at least an hours drive to bring my new ratties home, so is there any advice to keep the car ride nice and stress-free on the rats?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Having a small travel crate for them to make the trip in will help a lot and prevent escape, maybe with a hide in it and some high water content fruit or veggie in there for them to nibble if they want. I find that my rats are pretty good in the car and they just chill in their crate with no problems. :) Congrats on the new ratties!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently moved to a new city and the drive was about 4 hours. I kept my rats in one of those plastic pet carriers filled with a bunch of fleece blankets and some bedding from their cage. They seemed to do just fine and they loved having all the blankets to burrow in. Rats are very curious and love exploring new places. Good luck!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Our rats love to free range in the car, I often take them along when I drop my daughter off to school just so they can run around in the car and have fun... We usually adopt pups and my daughter plays with them on the ride home. But for older rats a carrier is a good idea...

Max hated getting out of the car sometimes and she would climb up under the dash and hunker down and nap until she was good and ready to go back inside the house... It's not too hard to get a rat out from under your seat (most modern cars), but once they are up in the dash you pretty much have to wait them out. So if your new rats are older, agile and can climb I wouldn't let them free range the car until you know that they will come on command.

Best luck.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I travel a lot with rats and use either small hamster cages or cat carriers, these get a hammock and a water bottle plus some dry food and wet fruit like melon for a second moisture source. Then they just get strapped in the back seat securely.

I quite often travel with multiple groups of rats (to rat shows) do I'm not sure rat daddy's idea would work for me lol, plus I'd be worried about them getting under the peddles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts