Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We sadly lost Thumper this morning to unknown causes :( Ducky seems really upset. He just looks like he is ready to cry (if a rattie could) Thumper passed away this morning and poor Ducky has been at a loss. He was walking all over the cage like he was searching but then settled down and now wont leave the food bowl. Hes just stayed all curled up in there :( Ive had him out giving him lots of loving between breaks back to his cage for potty and food. Im scared of losing Ducky too. Thumpers passing was so unexpected and so quick.

We had been talking of adding a rattie to our family shortly since after we got Ducky and Thumper. Do you think it would be ok to add another rattie now that Thumper has passed on? I know Ducky should have a friend and we will get a friend for him, But I guess what Im meaning is how long should we wait. Thumper will never by no means be replacable he was our little "hyper baby" as we nick named him. But I dont want Ducky to be depressed and end up losing him too.

I would like some advise as to what we should do now. It would be at least a week before we got one more rattie as we really do want to get a hairless if possible. Sadly it will be from the Petstore as I havent been able to find any breeders or rescues close enough to us.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry! :(

When we lost Jellybean's sister Skittles very suddenly, Jellybean noticeably went into a depression. It scared me so much that when I got Coconut a few days later, I didn't even quarantine her like I should have because I didn't want to make Jellybean be alone anymore. Luckily they were both fine, and Jellybean loved Coconut right away. She was back to herself as soon as I introduced the two of them. So I definitely think you should get another rat for Ducky as soon as possible, but make sure you do quarantine. That's why I'd get one ASAP, since you'll have to wait a couple weeks before putting them together as it is.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I wouldn't wait at all... you'll have to go through quarantine, too, don't forget. Maybe, if you were thinking about having a third rat, now would be the time to get two new rats of the same age?

In the meantime, I would just do everything you can to keep Ducky occupied. Is Ducky a chewer? If not, perhaps you could try him with a little teddy bear or something similar for him to cuddle with? Maybe give the cage a good scrubbing and rearrange it a little, too, so it doesn't remind him of Thumper all the time? :(

Once again, I'm so sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for so much support. Ducky isnt a chewer, I did put a small beanie bear toy in with him and he immediatly snuggled up to it, It was so cute yet so sad :( Im waiting to pick up my work check today and as soon as I have it Im heading to Petsmart. Yea I know petstore but its our only option right now :( We are going to the same Petsmart where Ducky actually came from . I have Ducky right now with me, He is all snuggled under my shirt laying across my belly . I hear him grinding his teeth away which he always does when mommy holds him. We called the vet about doing a neocropsy on Thumper just to insure no illness. I have no clue why he passed, but I really honestly dont think it was an illness but if it was it was very well hidden. There is never any sneezing, gunky eyes or nose, no loose stools, both very active eat well drink well and play well. That is the shocker as to why Thumper passed like he did :(

Now our concern is definetly with Ducky. My hubby said today we have to insure Ducky is ok and doesnt get depressed. We are all very attached to him. My hubby isnt a huge animal person, He loves them dont get me wrong but he would be ok with an animal free home. So for him to say how attached he is to Ducky is a huge thing!!

I really do appreciate you all on here. You are very supportive.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I would advise 2 more babies to add otherwise you'll just end up in the same position later on. I prefer 3's over 2's anyday. :)

I hope Ducky is soon feeling more like himself. Amazing the people who insist animals cannot feel loss and mourn! :(

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I hope Ducky is healthy. I agree with what others have said also, since you cannot get an older (Ducky's age anyways) rat from a rescue, to purchase two younger rats, so when Ducky passes you hopefully won't be stuck in the same situation.

Kimberly said:
My hubby isnt a huge animal person, He loves them dont get me wrong but he would be ok with an animal free home. So for him to say how attached he is to Ducky is a huge thing!!
With how cute Ducky is, who wouldn't be?! He's positively adorable! Double rex?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.