Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single female rat who I am kind of afraid to pick up. Every time I try she nips at my finger. Sometimes kind of hard but never as hard as I know that she can't. If I go all the way and pick her up if she going to freak out and mangle my finger

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a single female rat who I am kind of afraid to pick up. Every time I try she nips at my finger. Sometimes kind of hard but never as hard as I know that she can't. If I go all the way and pick her up if she going to freak out and mangle my finger
Is it only when you go to pick her up that she bites or does she bite when you touch her at all?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whenever I get close to her
I’d suggest first trying to get her used to you by giving her treats through the cage bars then casually making her take it from your palm either inside or outside of the cage.Once she seems comfortable with that you can pick her up.Don’t be afraid when you do it pick her up with a blanket or something she can’t bite through.Hold her close as she will probably try to wiggle away and walk around for a few minutes then set her back down.Keep doing this randomly throughout the day so she can learn that being picked up really isn’t that scary.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wouldn't give her treats through the bars since it can teach her to bite things (like fingers) when they go through them. I would say to use the metal spoon method, you take a metal spoon and put a licking treat on it, the rat doesn't want to bite the spoon since it would hurt. Then you use the spoon to lure her closer to you, eventually as she gets used to being near you, you can put the baby food on your hand, then if she nips you can squeak and take away your hand with the treat, when she calms down you can give it back. I agree with Jaylin to definitely reward your rat every time she comes close to you or you come past her cage but make sure to watch her body language before starting to pick her up. When she's comfortable being near you then as you feed a licking treat you can start touching, stroking, and fondling your rat. Then if she's not running away start picking her up a little bit and then eventually picking her up and moving around. It's very important you watch her body language at this time, is she starts grooming or freezing just let her decompress before continuing. Another thing you can do besides for a licking treat is sit in a small space like a bathroom or you bed with your rat and only have you wearing a sweater be the only hiding spot then as she explores give her treats as she passes by you, use tiny bits of treats so when your rat comes you can give her one and she has to keep coming back for more since they're so small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts