Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is kinda strange, I thought rats love hammocks so I bought a Nice ferret hammock. I hung it up in their cage, and theyre almost afraid to go on it, they'll hop on for a second but realize they're almost floating and hop off. Its day 2 since they've had a hammock, and they haven't bothered to sleep on it, they perfer just on fluff or in their wicker ball, any advice? I thought they loved hammocks...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would ASSUME that after a few more days of getting used to it, they will be a bit braver in their explorations.

I can also imagine that it IS a bit disconcerting to suddenly be swinging about when you're used to solid ground. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It takes a little bit for them to get used to them. Try putting some yummy treats in there or scraps of fabric and such to cuddle with. :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
It took my roommate a loooong time to get her rats to actually enjoy a hammock... mine seemed to warm up to it within a matter of days. I think it just depends on your rats.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
You can hang the hammock so the majority of it is actually lying on shelf or surface with only the edges being lifted. Once they get used to that you can hang it a bit higher every couple of days. Soon you will have rats that won't come out of the hammie and then you can relocate it away from the shelf :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hang up a tight square of cloth, or if the hammock is clipped to the top of the cage, just lay a piece of cloth over the top. My girls only liked the "canopy" hammocks for a long time, they just now started using a normal one. I think they felt more secure with a roof over their head.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got a hammock for my Ratlings last friday and they have yet to touch it really. I have been putting scattered food and treats in the hammock, and they have removed everything I've put there. But other then those times, they refuse to touch it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts