Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I HAVE to buy a rat from a breeder to get a registration or membership or whatever? I don't know of any breders in my area and the only place I can get rats is a petstore. I would not breed, for obvious reasons (petstore stock isn't exactly the best), but Everyone always talks about how you HAVE to be a member of ARFMA to be a good rat owner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a matter of fact, what is so special about joining it anyway? I want to join it, but I don't know what will happen when I actually do join.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Who says that? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that, and I most rat owners I know (which is... heh, well quite a lot) aren't ARFMA members...

In fact, some of their information on their site isn't even the best/right. I believe they say that 20 gal. tanks are fine for rats. And if you run the cages they list as being good for, say 6 females though the cage calculator, you'll find it's too small for more than 2. And one that's okay for 4? They say 10. Another is too small for any rats, and they say 2-3.

Seriously, who's everyone that's saying that??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know, different people, not on here, other boards and stuff, they all suggest joining the AFRMA to learn as much as I can about rat care.... The Admin even suggest it in theri News article about the top tem mistakes for new owners Quote: "10. Underestimating the importance of belonging to a rat club or rat society.

Belonging to a rat club or rat society such as AFRMA will go a long way in getting your key rat questions answered. Moreover, doing so will connect you with a community of rat lovers who are likely to want to share what they know for the sake of advancing the hobby as a whole. "

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know they don't say you HAVE to,l but I have heard it enough times for it to start bothering me that I am not a member...

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Hehehe...a good rat forum is probably a better source of information overall. Most websites do not update the information as it changes.

I have never belonged to a club but am part of a few rat forums and help moderate one, and take care of the rescue section on another website.

Its not mandatory. I wonder if there are any fee's and kickbacks involved? ;)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Want my advice? Join a local RSA club. :)

I wasn't knocking the AFRMA, by the way... I'm sure they're a very nice association. But I honestly disagree with some of the advice they put up there.

I actually don't belong to either. I did sign up for the local RSA, but it never was put together fully, so I suppose I don't "officially" belong. But I DO know that most of those in clubs who I've seen are members of the local RSA.

What's nice is that it being more local, you can attend events, network with those near you, etc. Many hold events a few times a year or so, some do HT runs for food (buy in bulk as a group, for cheaper), etc.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You absolutely do NOT have to be a member of AFRMA to be a good rat owner. I personally have not heard that before, but I know people who would spout that off... IF you wanted to join AFRMA, you don't need to get your rats anywhere in particular, you don't even need rats.

As far as people who are AFRMA members, I am. I'm really not sure why...except to have my website listed in their breeders list....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
my advice about groups that tell you that you must do this or you have to do that....

walk--away--very--slowly

sounds like you landed yourself in a group of elitists that chant one-true-way-isms

be afraid

<smile>

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are other clubs to join besides AFRMA.

I am a member of AFRMA, but I also take part in some RMCA- So Cal events and am a founding member of the California Association of Rat Enthusiasts (CARE).

The first club is very show focused, the latter two are focused as much on enjoying shows as educating owners. You don't even have to be a member of just one. You can join as many clubs as you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts