Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pancake and Shadow have now been with us for 6 weeks and there hasn't been much progress at all in terms of them being comfortable around us, their humans. Pancake is definitely more outgoing - but still very skittish and doesn't like to be held. Shadow (hence the name) hides and is very un-social. I've only held him once - and he tried to scurry off and I had to grab him a little too hard, causing him to squeak - I think he's traumatized by that. Anyway, I've tried everything to make them happier and nothing seems to work. Is there a chance this is just how it's going to be? I hate the thought of them not being happy. (They eat a LOT - out of boredom. They're getting fat too.)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Re: After 6 weeks of owning two boys, one is still sad, dist

Have you done any forced socialization with them? Pick up Shadow (wether he eeps or not) and do not put him back down for at least 20 minutes, no matter how much he struggles or fusses. Igor was a pain to get socialized, he let out his loudest and best EEEEEEEEEeeeeeep when I did forced socialization with him. He eeeped for what seemed like the entire 20 minutes. Anyway, do that every single day. You should start making progress soon, don't give up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Oh gosh...well, I'm with ya. However, I can't even get the little bugger to come out of hiding SO I can 'force' it. I guess I'll try what you just suggested with his more outgoing brother, who also needs some work as well. So when they're eeeeping, they're not hurting....just being babies?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Usually when they eep it's either a 'you scared me' 'that's a little too rough' or 'yes, okay, okay, let me go, you win.'

When they really get hurt they usually do more than eep.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

OK, this is so helpful so thank you. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts

Good luck and keep trying im in the same situation but im tryin everyday its working =]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Same to you. We had a great day today! My 10-year-old and I decided to give the 'forced socialization' a try and we got both of the rats out while my husband cleaned their cage. We put them in a secured area (bathroom) with an old doggie bed, running wheel and us. They had a blast. Especially Shadow who is so timid and shy. He let us hold him, pet him and he curiously ran around and played for a half an hour. They both did great. We'll keep this up daily! I hope they get used to the wheel and actually use it. It's too big for their cage so it's only for outside play time. They both tried it out and went a few steps and got off.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Ahh im soo glad i got one of my boys out earlyer (Charley) he sat on my shoulder and kissed my cheek then went to sleep on my lap very cute! Im glad its working out for you keep up the good work keep us updated =] x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts