Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been brought to me concern, that after I bring home my new boy, how long do i keep him separate from the girls?

Story is I'm adopting a male rat from my friends rescue and she is neutering all the boys before they are adopted, of course he will still be young I'm sure he is capable of his actions and that is something I don't want. I have three girls and three girls can mean a lot of babies!

I was told 1 week at first now 3 weeks was told to me by someone else. How long until its safe? :wink:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That really does depend on who you ask. I've heard 3 weeks most often, which will ensure that he's healed up before he meets the girls. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
2 weeks to 4 weeks is what I have heard... so why not cut it down the middle & go with 3 weeks. Always best to play it safe.

The neutered male that my friend recently gave to me took a few weeks to heal up. He spent some time with the vet because the wound didn't heal well. Ended up he had a piece of a suture up inside of him that caused a nasty infection. So the male being all healed up prior to introductions should be just as much of a concern as a possible impregnation.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've heard very different things from different people, including vets, anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks. I waited about 3 weeks (a few days less) before starting intros with my neutered boy to my girls, because he was healed up enough. I would say wait the 3 weeks. Even if it's actually less time, it's better to err on the side of caution than to wind up with pregnant girls after going through a neuter!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, three weeks it is. He should be fine in a cost cage right? I just hope he doesn't get lonely, seeing he is leaving his siblings and then has to wait.

Ill just have to give him extra attention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts