Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it take her to show, well, less "lets get together" behavior? My vet precautioned us not to put Ighee back into the mischief for 10 days. We keep the cages close so they can keep somewhat of a connection. The bucks remain highly interested, although I am sure part of the that is missing their cagemate.

Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
Id personally keep her out at least until she was relatively healed. I know my boys play rough and you wouldn't want her to get in the middle of that so soon after major surgery.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Umm...once she has healed over you can start intro's. She has lost her uterus and is completely unable to concieve now.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
rat_ratscal said:
yup glindella's right, but rats heal fast, not sure if they heal fast after major surgery, but they heal fast.
They heal very fast from major surgery like a spay. BUT it all depends on what is used to close the incision. If it was internal dissolving stitches, and surgical glue...3-4 days approx. IF they used staples, I find that they don't heal as fast and then the staples are removed and the healing must continue from then.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Here is Vesta's incison with the staples

Here is Rennie's incision with glue

I have a request in with my vet to not use staples unless completely necessary. I had too many rats pulling at them and stressed out. They left the glue incisions alone. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yah, my vet used what she called internal stitches because of that. If it goes bad, I will post it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your boys will continue to "think" they can get it on with her for about a week after being together. Once they realize that she no longer gives the scent that she's in heat or ready for them, they will start to leave her alone. But once in a while they may try and quickly realized, oh ya, not this one. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts