Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl Maxie had a tumor removed on Monday. The Dr said to keep her seperated for at least 2-3 weeks and obviously not to let her climb or put any stress on the stitches. Problem is, or rather problemS are i only have 2 rats and now they're both completely miserable. I keep the cages as close as possble but...well you can imagine. PLUS Maxie HATES HATES HATES the other cages. To a point it's pitiful and a little scary. 8O If it let her walk around outside them she's fine, completely normal, but when i put her back she HATES me! She gets a look...i know that sounds dumb lol. She strains to try to get out though, which is my main concern.

I guess the question here is: If you've had experience with this surgery is it necessary to keep her seperated that long? And have your rats been this..crabby? (oh and before you ask she's healing up nicely, no problems with the antibiotic, nor tearing stitches out *knocks on wood*) I don't THINK the issue is pain related...just bored and lonely?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I'm in agreement. Depending on what type of stitches you were given, I don't think you'll need such an excessive QT period. I would leave it 5 days to a week (a bit longer than Stephanie) only as a precaution against rough-housing with the others, but if she had the op monday and the wound looks like it's healing well...why not try putting them all together for a little while and see what happens?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They're just normal stitches. They aren't disolvable, they're supposed to fall out in about 30 days or so. They're all individually done so that if she tears at them they won't all unravel. I'm not so much worried about rough housing as her climbing and jumping and falling etc. Their regular cage is rather big. She tends to take the path of least resistance when it comes to getting down from places lol She'd rather just jump then take the ramps or ropes.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That's strange! My vet kept Teto overnight after her tumor removal but then she said she was fine to go back in her cage with all the ratties. She has staples rather than stitches, and she told me to keep an eye on her to make sure they didn't bleed. She has some pain medications as well. She also said that rats heal faster with companions. I'm not a vet but I think she is exactly right. I dunno............

·
Registered
187 Posts
My vet, an exotic vet has told me to do what I feel is the least stressful on my rat. So that usually means to keep the rat overnight in her own cage and the next day she/he is usually fine to go back in with the main colony.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.