Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a female rat from a pet store, but she was the only female there, so I had to search elsewhere to get her a friend, but the only other place I could find that had females was... a different kind of store, and they had much smaller/younger, and not well socialized rats.

The first one I got is very playful and outgoing, but the younger one just constantly hides or sits still and kinda looks traumatized. I was hoping they would be friends, but it seems more like they just tolerate each other, and sometimes the bigger one steals treats from the small one, and I practically have to fight her off so the little one can eat. She doesn't physically bully her, but I'm worried the little one might not be getting enough nutrients and maybe that's inhibiting her growth and preventing her from opening up to humans as well.

What can I do here?

·
Registered
258 Posts
It’s still early days.She is still settling.You don’t know what is going when you are not there,they may be cuddling up and getting on fine.Food stealing is a natural behaviour in rats ,best not to interfere..she is a rat,she will find food to eat.To get her to get to know you,just sit by the open cage and gently talk to her and start by offering a desired treat such as a yoghurt drop or a salt and sugar free toddlers snack,available from the baby food section and take it from there.Some rats require no time at all,some can take up,to several weeks to come out of their shell.Good Luck to you x

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s still early days.She is still settling.You don’t know what is going when you are not there,they may be cuddling up and getting on fine.Food stealing is a natural behaviour in rats ,best not to interfere..she is a rat,she will find food to eat.To get her to get to know you,just sit by the open cage and gently talk to her and start by offering a desired treat such as a yoghurt drop or a salt and sugar free toddlers snack,available from the baby food section and take it from there.Some rats require no time at all,some can take up,to several weeks to come out of their shell.Good Luck to you x
But the bigger rat will even try to take the food away from me as I try to offer it to the smaller one. If I give her a separate treat to distract her she eats it quickly and comes back for another before the small one even has a chance to finish half. :/
I know rats generally have a pecking order for dominance, and it seems this older rat is just trying to show that she's the boss, but I just worry about the little one seeming to have such low energy.

Then again, if there's uneaten food still lying around, that must mean she's just not hungry, right?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Does the little one look healthy?Smooth coat and bright eyes?I can understand you being anxious but there isn’t a lot you can do to stop a rats natural food swiping instinct.If a rat doesn’t eat regularlythey can literally seem to drop 30% of their body weight overnight so I am sure she is getting something down her.If she is still nervous around you this will put her off eating. Thus giving you the impression she is not getting enough.She may be a runt so naturally small and maybe didn’t have a great start in life.When she begins to understand she has a loving home she will start to come round.Rats are survivors,trust in that and try to relax as she will pick up on stress energy.

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the little one look healthy?Smooth coat and bright eyes?I can understand you being anxious but there isn’t a lot you can do to stop a rats natural food swiping instinct.If a rat doesn’t eat regularlythey can literally seem to drop 30% of their body weight overnight so I am sure she is getting something down her.If she is still nervous around you this will put her off eating. Thus giving you the impression she is not getting enough.She may be a runt so naturally small and maybe didn’t have a great start in life.When she begins to understand she has a loving home she will start to come round.Rats are survivors,trust in that and try to relax as she will pick up on stress energy.
That makes sense. Thanks for making me feel better. :3

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just looked at the pics on your other thread.Pippin is smaller and looks very shy. But she looks very healthy.My 5 month old Chutney hid for 3 weeks after I got her.I barely saw her.Now she is a bothersome minx to the point that I am thinking of taking out a restraining order on her!Dont trust the quiet ones😆

·
Registered
Merry and Pippin ♀️
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looked at the pics on your other thread.Pippin is smaller and looks very shy. But she looks very healthy.My 5 month old Chutney hid for 3 weeks after I got her.I barely saw her.Now she is a bothersome minx to the point that I am thinking of taking out a restraining order on her!Dont trust the quiet ones😆
😹 oh boy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts