Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Donut
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time rat owner, and I just got my pretty boy Donut from my local pet shop. They didn't really know his age, and I'm not sure how to tell. Does anyone think they can give me a general age range they think he might be? This is the only photo right now, but can get more at different angles if needed

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hi and welcome! Donut is adorable!

The AFRMA website has a good page showing rats during their [first 6 weeks of development]. You can check out the pictures to compare. I would guess based on the one picture that he's 4 to 8 weeks old.

One of the most important things to know about rats now that you're a rat owner is that rats need same-sex company. It's extremely important that they have cagemates. They're such a social animal that being alone can be extremely bad for their physical and emotional well being. I would suggest returning to the store where you got this little guy and pick up one of his littermates within the next day or so.

There are lots of great resources for learning about how to care for rats. The Isamu Rat Care, Emiology, and Shadow the Rat youtube channels are great and of course you can peruse the threads here and create your own posts if you're curious about anything!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thank you, I will definitely check it out. Sadly, he was the only one they had when I got him. I am currently looking at other places to get him a friend though, so hopefully next week he will have a little play companion
Check to see if there are any rescues in your area and you can always check Craigslist.

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
498 Posts
Does that cage have a wire floor?

·
Registered
My baby PEW girls, Miri and Bean
211 Posts
Does that cage have a wire floor?
Looks like a wire shelf, like in the You & Me Rat Manor. It should be covered up with something like fleece or cardboard so the rats don't get bumblefoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts