Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have 4 all under 6 months. They're all still very playful, but Buddy (~5 months) will sit on your lap and groom your hand. The rest just run around and play constantly.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
depends on the rat, some stay mental until they die. If they are going to properly settle it tends to happen after they've passed there teenage grumpy hormonal stage. Typically around 6-9 months.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Both of my rats are a little over a year I believe (Blaze more likely Jojo not as much) but Blaze is still very active but Jojo is more reserve so it just really depends.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well my boys are 10 months old now and they seem to have calmd a lot but they still have the their moments lol

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would say that it really depends on the individual rat. Some rats never turn into lazy lap rats but I do think that most males mellow out after about a year. Seniors over 2 years typically make the best lap rats since they are slower, tire more easily and therefore relish in the slow and steady lifestyle of couch napping and cuddling. Our old boy Bear loves nothing more than to lay down on my chest whilst I am watching movies in bed. He is about 2 years old (guesstimate since we rescued him from a hoarding situation but this is what the vet guessed). He still walks around and explores, but does not do so with the same enthusiasm as my younger boys who still popcorn around like crazy at 4-7 months old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have various ages now and have had rats until the sad end. I'd say around 10 months they mellow out a little bit and start to enjoy affection but still are quite active and need lots of exercise.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they run round chasing eachother when they're out but chill when they're in the cage like. &one of my boys has always been affectionate and then the other one has only just started to enjoy an occasional scratch lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts