Rat Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
I really hope so! She is the big balding girl on the side, so she is not completely incorporated with the pack like baby Harissa (the one on top, the one she bit). I am thinking of continuing with rhe carrier method again to see how that is going but Im terrified of waking up to screaming tonight again. Let's hope for the best! Thank you for all the encouragement!!!!馃グ馃グ
let us know how it goes!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay so, I might have been too enthusiastic. Everything seemed to be going well, they are still in a smaller cage together and it's been 2 weeks now with slowly adding hammocks and other fun stuff to the cage. I haven't seen a real sign of struggle and they are all sleeping together. Now yesterday evening, when giving them some free roaming, I found that my alpha Tofu had a huge gash on her back. I'm calling the vet as soon as they open, but you can see the tissue below the skin, it is a true rip in her back. I have been still almost constantly with them, and this definitely happened during the day, because I check them every morning and evening. The only time I let them by themselves was when I was having a quick dinner.. so I have no idea where this came from. I'm having the two new girls spayed coming Friday, but I'm now seriously doubting if I should separate them again..

Registered
Okay so, I might have been too enthusiastic. Everything seemed to be going well, they are still in a smaller cage together and it's been 2 weeks now with slowly adding hammocks and other fun stuff to the cage. I haven't seen a real sign of struggle and they are all sleeping together. Now yesterday evening, when giving them some free roaming, I found that my alpha Tofu had a huge gash on her back. I'm calling the vet as soon as they open, but you can see the tissue below the skin, it is a true rip in her back. I have been still almost constantly with them, and this definitely happened during the day, because I check them every morning and evening. The only time I let them by themselves was when I was having a quick dinner.. so I have no idea where this came from. I'm having the two new girls spayed coming Friday, but I'm now seriously doubting if I should separate them again..
Oh no that sounds really bad. Was it definitely a fight? I tend to find fight injuries are very obvious, teeth marks and not normally a rip down their back like that. Have you seen any of them fighting at all? it seems so sudden for them to be completely fine and happy then suddenly one of them has a severe injury. It also seems strange to me that the alpha is the one who was hurt, as normally they do alright because no one challenges them. Do you find your young ones submitting to her, and do they groom eachother at all?

I hope poor tofu is okay. Please keep us updated ):

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you for the quick reply! I went to the vet with Tofu and she thinks it might just be a cut from somewhere in the cage. It is highly plausible :) although last week the lowest ranking rat was bitten quite severely by the same new ratty.. and they are still a bit on edge with each other. This is why I am having them spayed. I am super nervous about the surgery, but I'm hoping it's for the better. It's been 3 weeks now and no progress on introducing them to each other even though I'm taking it super slowly. Tofu is sleeping with the two new girls in the hammocks, so I was super surprised about the cut at well. This is why I agree with you and the vet that it must have been from somewhere else. She was stitched up and has antibiotics now just to be safe :) . she does look very sad with her big scar 馃槥

The other girl who was bitten, Tahini, is sleeping a lot on her own. She isn't being bullied as far as I can see, and she is behaving normally except that she seems scared of Tara (the newest addition). Hopefully everything settles after the spay..

Attachments

Registered
Thank you for the quick reply! I went to the vet with Tofu and she thinks it might just be a cut from somewhere in the cage. It is highly plausible :) although last week the lowest ranking rat was bitten quite severely by the same new ratty.. and they are still a bit on edge with each other. This is why I am having them spayed. I am super nervous about the surgery, but I'm hoping it's for the better. It's been 3 weeks now and no progress on introducing them to each other even though I'm taking it super slowly. Tofu is sleeping with the two new girls in the hammocks, so I was super surprised about the cut at well. This is why I agree with you and the vet that it must have been from somewhere else. She was stitched up and has antibiotics now just to be safe :) . she does look very sad with her big scar 馃槥

The other girl who was bitten, Tahini, is sleeping a lot on her own. She isn't being bullied as far as I can see, and she is behaving normally except that she seems scared of Tara (the newest addition). Hopefully everything settles after the spay..
I'm glad you managed to get tofu to the vet so quickly :) She's such a cute round girl!!

I find that sometimes they can have scuffles, my new girls keep having some teeth marks on their tails and lower back, but it's getting a lot less often now.

I'm also spaying my new babies and it's definitely nerve wracking, I'm so worried its not the right choice because it's not technically necessary but I'm trying to be less nervous xd I'm sure everything will be fine for both our babies!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm glad you managed to get tofu to the vet so quickly :) She's such a cute round girl!!

I find that sometimes they can have scuffles, my new girls keep having some teeth marks on their tails and lower back, but it's getting a lot less often now.

I'm also spaying my new babies and it's definitely nerve wracking, I'm so worried its not the right choice because it's not technically necessary but I'm trying to be less nervous xd I'm sure everything will be fine for both our babies!

I'll put a candle out for your babies to wish them well! When are they going for the surgery? Yes scuffles are okay but she shouldn't get bitten as she did anymore.. I think I'm just on edge by everything that's happened. I might be more scared then they are :confused:

Registered
I'll put a candle out for your babies to wish them well! When are they going for the surgery? Yes scuffles are okay but she shouldn't get bitten as she did anymore.. I think I'm just on edge by everything that's happened. I might be more scared then they are :confused:
Their surgery is on Tuesday, when are your girls having their surgery?

it's definitely worrying putting new ratties together I completely understand. hopefully everything will settle down soon and the young girls will be a bit calmer.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Aaah that is quick. They had mine today, and all went well! They are very stoned now so I am keeping an eye on them. Tofu does not like how they smell right now and immediately started being aggresive again so I took her to a different cage. She just needs to calm down first...

I hope all goes well on Tuesday! I am assuming it will but for then, good luck!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts