Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 neutered males and a female. The younger male, Khan, is new. I've been trying to introduce him to Sir Issac and Nemesis. The problem I'm having is that although Nemesis has accepted him, Sir Issac remains very territorial and aggressive towards him. I'm scared to leave Khan where Sir Issac can get to him. I admit, I didn't expect this problem because both males are neutered. The real problem is we're leaving in a few weeks and I have to be able to trust my rats to my brother-in-law. He's a great guy and loves my silly vermin, but I don't know if he's up to handling this sort of dominance issue. I need help! Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Khan is in a cage next to Sir Issac and Nemesis. They can see and smell each other. i get them out to interact with each other in a neutral spot (the bathtub).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Khan is in a cage next to Sir Issac and Nemesis. They can see and smell each other. i get them out to interact with each other in a neutral spot (the bathtub).
Guys, I really need help. Sir Issac just pulled out three of Khan's claws and bit chunks out of his paws. I have them separated, but I need to know if this is really far outside normal, can it be fixed?

·
Registered
70 Posts
How old is Sir Issac Vs Khan? Age difference can cause some problems sometimes depending on how old they are.

Typically the rule for introductions goes "No blood, No foul," so if Sir Issac bit chunks out of Khan's claw I would say that is too aggressive.

I've used the carrier method for introductions and it went great. I recommend reading the sticky in rat behaviour titled "Introduction using the Carrier Method." It's really well written! If you feel comfortable I would give it a couple days (until Khan is healed) and then tentatively try that one?

Also I've read in some places on this forum and other sites that placing the two cages near each other, and/or cage swapping can increase aggression in the rats? I don't know how true this is but just some food for thought.

Sorry for your troubles - hope it all gets sorted

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Fist off move the cages well away from each other, into another room if possible. This is the number one way to wind bucks up (they can smell the interloper but not get to them and sort out whose boss, creates a lot of tension).

Then I'd give them a good week or two to calm down and heal up, before moving onto the carrier method. It is generally very reliable as a method and will hopefully help in this situation. Failing that there are other options but I tend to start with that one. There's also links to that guide (and a few other methods) on my website in the behaviour section

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I will try that. Thank you so much. I was completely surprised because I thought neutering took care of the aggression issues and Sir Issac, while very big, is a complete marshmallow of a rat. Nemesis is literally half his size and he lets her push him around all day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I will try that. Thank you so much. I was completely surprised because I thought neutering took care of the aggression issues and Sir Issac, while very big, is a complete marshmallow of a rat. Nemesis is literally half his size and he lets her push him around all day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts