Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I Picked up 3 new rats last week, I have grown up always having rats and tend to raise them from babies, the place I got these 3 from said they were all 2 months old, I am questioning that a bit as one is really tiny and the aggressive one is a lot bigger, if I was judging the age by his size I would say he was close to 1year old. However the issue I have with him is he quiet aggressive to me, first couple of days I put it down to being in a new place and needed settling in so I have been working on getting him use to me and feeding soft food, like malt paste or baby food off a spoon to him and slowly bringing in my other hand and so on but this doesn't seem to be working, and its also unprovoked aggression, for example they can be out on the sofa and I am sat on the floor next to them and have my arm leaning on the edge of the sofa and out of no where he will just come and bite me, each time I have been do the high pitch squeak that they do to each other to let him know he has gone to far but this doesn't seem to be doing anything, the other issue I have with him is he is really protective of the smallest rat which is making him very scared, and I have noticed he is also trying to make him and the fur on the back of the smallest guy is looking wet and sticky in that spot. Can anyone other advise on how to prevent all of this and stop him from attacking me.

sorry for the long ramble.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello,

I Picked up 3 new rats last week, I have grown up always having rats and tend to raise them from babies, the place I got these 3 from said they were all 2 months old, I am questioning that a bit as one is really tiny and the aggressive one is a lot bigger, if I was judging the age by his size I would say he was close to 1year old. However the issue I have with him is he quiet aggressive to me, first couple of days I put it down to being in a new place and needed settling in so I have been working on getting him use to me and feeding soft food, like malt paste or baby food off a spoon to him and slowly bringing in my other hand and so on but this doesn't seem to be working, and its also unprovoked aggression, for example they can be out on the sofa and I am sat on the floor next to them and have my arm leaning on the edge of the sofa and out of no where he will just come and bite me, each time I have been do the high pitch squeak that they do to each other to let him know he has gone to far but this doesn't seem to be doing anything, the other issue I have with him is he is really protective of the smallest rat which is making him very scared, and I have noticed he is also trying to make him and the fur on the back of the smallest guy is looking wet and sticky in that spot. Can anyone other advise on how to prevent all of this and stop him from attacking me.

sorry for the long ramble.
Hello,

Sorry about your situation, that sounds very frustrating. It could be that the he is acting out of hormonal aggression. I'd watch this video about aggression in rats so you can better triage the situation. It doesnt really cover aggression due to previous enviroments and mistreatment so here's a video that covers that topic.

Isamu rats & Shadow the rat are both very knowlegeable sources and I trust their content. :)

Hopefully, your case is the more common hormal aggression that is easily fixed with neutering. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts