Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I posted a while back about one of my boys Ty showing some aggressive tendencies since I got the girls. I got some great suggestions and for a while some of it seemed to help, but he's just never really been the same as he was before. Rikki has adjusted well to having the girls living in the room, and he hardly cares that they are there and runs about all normal.

Ty on the other hand seems to constantly get better and then get worse. He keeps fighting with his brother and drawing blood. When I let them out to play if I ever go to pick up Ty or handle him he fluffs up his fur and gets in aggressive stance. If he comes after me I swat him away and after a few times he stops and acts normal, but things are just not the same. It's very upsetting since Ty was my <3 rat and my big buddy. I would take him out constantly to sit on my shoulder, but now I don't even like spending time with him since every time I get him out it's a battle. He hasn't bit me, since that time I posted about two months ago, instead he just fluffs up and acts like he wants to do it. Still his personality change has been so strange.

I know when people post these threads everyone replies with reading the stickies and trying the methods in there, but I keep trying to work with Ty and do these different things with hardly any result. I finally took him to the vet last week to look into getting him fixed. It breaks my heart that things have gotten this way with him, since I've had the boys almost a year and I have adored Ty since day one. Rikki has even gotten to the point of not wanting anything to do with Ty, and he will literally run to me and jump out of his cage and stay with me to not be near his brother.

I thought if it went well for Ty I might eventually have Rikki done where they could live with the girls? Would they be able to adjust to each other well though? The boys are almost a year and the girls are about five months.

I get paid in a week, so I'm scheduling Ty's surgery after that and crossing my fingers that it will help. I'm not sure where else to go if it doesn't. Has anyone else had to get their male rats fixed due to aggressive issues? Did it help? I guess I'm just curious to see if it's helped anyone with their boy? It's been a last resort for me since I know there are risks involved, but I feel it's at the point for Rikki and Ty's best interest to go through with it. I'm still worried and a little concerned about how things will turn out for Ty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think having him fixed is a good idea and it most likely WILL help but of course there is no guarantee. I found this website to be very helpful, if you havent seen it already: http://www.ratballs.com/RatTails/Tails103.html

I plan on getting my new boy fixed in a week or so (waiting on money as well Lol) for aggressive behaviors towards other rats (and his overall generalized tenseness which isnt healthy). I will most certainly let you know how things go...but my vet did warn me that it takes about a month for the hormones levels to completely lower after surgery! I think for the saftey of your other ratty its probably in his best interest to get fixed (that is the precaution that I am taking for my other boy's safety).

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I think that Ty started acting up when you started spending time with you other rats and less with him, he's acting up so you spend even less time with him which is making him worse... The neuter may or may not help if he's feeling left out and neglected.

Try and spend a week or two really working with Ty, like you did in the old days. He may resist for a bit, but as you mention he calms down... Put him on shoulder and take him around, sit and play with him like you used to and really make it all about him, like he's your number one rat and top priority... Like kids rats that feel neglected or degraded in status sometimes act out... You can always still do a neuter, and you aren't getting bitten so you don't have anything to lose by trying.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realized I never posted a reply in here. I actually do spend the same amount of time with Ty that I do with all my rats, that's never changed. I just don't enjoy being around him as much anymore. Usually I spend time with the boys and then the girls and every day I might take two out and spend time just with them alone as well. I have started spending time with just Ty everyday. I don't even spend time with him and his brother anymore. He has done better, but I've decided to go ahead with the surgery. He's going in the morning. My vet said the same thing that it would take a month.

I'm worried, but I feel like right now the boys aren't getting the quality of life they need living with each other and always having a spat. Ty even has a bit mark around his eye since he kept harassing his brother till he bit him. Hopefully this makes a difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts