Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two rats have been getting along just fine for the few months they have been together, but recently, past few weeks Harvarti is showing scars. I hear him squeaking all the time because of Provvy, should I be concerned? Is Provy just establishing dominance? Harvy doesnt try to cross paths with him, seems like Provy is going out of his way to harm him..

Harvy's left side is showing a bit of scar tissue, kind of concerned... whats normal and what isnt? What can I expect form two maturing males? They got a long just fine until recently so I don't get it...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I examined him again, he has plenty of scars along his left side, I doubt they are self inflicted, I don't see him ever scratching himself that hard. There are no bite marks around his neck or belly... So I do not know what to think. Provvy being too rough?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Probably just overly rough. How old are they? Boys get into a hormonal streak around 5-6 months. Some scratches are bound to happen from climbing on each other and such, perhaps you could trim their nails?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look like actual bite marks, odd thing is its ONLY the left side, so they don't seem so random. They scuffle like most rodents do. But the scars are inflicted by bites for sure, so you think with that knowledge provvy is just a rough male?

They are about full grown so I'd have to guess they are about 8 or so months. They arent full grown yet. So maybe its just hormones like you said.

Any warning signs I should take just in case? Of over aggressive behavior or the possibility provy may kill harvy?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts