Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, all of Molly's babies are gone now, off to good homes with people I know (Sadly one died, one of her siblings killed her) and Molly has been back with Mocha and Toby for a few months now.
Before she had her babies, I'm pretty sure she was the "leader" of my small mischief (very funny considering she was half the size of Mo and To) and after she came back from her "maternity leave" she pretty much resumed her place.

Lately, I'm not really sure whose "alpha". Mocha and Molly get along during the day, sleeping together, but once night falls the cage becomes a battlefield. Woodchips flying left, right and centre, and now, squeaking. Mocha took a bite to the face last week, so we took Molly out for some solitary confinement. A few days ago, once Mocha's face healed, my brothers put Molly back in the big cage, not a good idea. The fighting has been awful, and if they're not fighting, Molly is humping Mocha and then the fighting resumes.

I just don't understand these guys. The moment it gets dark out, Molly and Mocha start fighting. I've taken Molly out again because she bit Mocha's face again and started fighting with Toby who normally sticks to the sidelines. This isn't playfighting, I'm actually scared to think what will happen if I leave them alone.

Other than this fighting problem, Molly is probably the best behaved of the bunch. She is very gentle when it comes to taking food and being handled, and she loves to be out with people and never bites us.

Anyone got any ideas about my aggressive little Molly Maid? Currently she is living alone in the other cage.

***Molly is also still quite small. She hasn't grown much since having her babies, it took a lot out of her. Could her size be an issue?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
This issue is Molly trying to reassert her dominance. That's what all the humping is about. And now, after a period of leave from Molly's rule, the others are trying to have a little leadership themselves.

I'd look into the introductions sticky... I think it's in General... and try re-introducing them. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts