Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what's the difference between an Agouti and a Variegated Berkshire?

I tried to determine which of these my rat is, but she seems to qualify for both. Perhaps they are the same thing??

Anyone know? :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
As far as I know, agouti is a color, where berkshire and variegated berkshire are markings. So an agouti colored rat with a white tummy (I don't know exactly what variberk is off the top of my head, is that where the white extends up the sides a bit?) would be an agouti berkshire, or agouti variegated berkshire..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes agouti is a color. It is also called wild type. I don't remember the pattern but each single hair has 3 colors on it. It is the same color as a Noway rat.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Agouti is black brown and grey on one hair strand and variberk is where the white kind of fades into the sides. If you look at my post on meet my rat that has the link to my pictures you will see that Jackson is an sagouti and Bill is a vari berk. I still need to get bill's pictures up there but keep checking back LoL.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The first rat in my sig is agouti, the last two are black variberks.

A rat can be an agouti variberk.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well then I'm thinking that one of my girls is a variberk and the other is a berkshire.

I would call her a "self" but her tummy has a faint white color to it that does not extend up the sides at all. That's a berkshire right? :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If it's a kind of silvery grayish white she's probably actually a self... agouti rats have pale tummies.

But if it is white and doesn't go up the sides, yes, that's berkshire.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think that either of them are agouti at all. They both look kind of mocha brown in color. And the tummy is kind of silvery, so perhaps she is a self.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Something like a mink or cocoa then?

Do you have pics around for us to look at?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
FreedomDove said:
Yes agouti is a color. It is also called wild type. I don't remember the pattern but each single hair has 3 colors on it. It is the same color as a Noway rat.
Just to nitpick - All pet/domesticated rats are "Norway rats", aka Rattus norvegicus (Brown Rat), unless they are Black Rats (Rattus rattus), but they are VERY rarely kept as pets.

I had to clarify that. :) I think you meant that wild Rattus norvegicus are agouti, but I wanted to make that more clear to newbies to the rat world.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have several self black satin dumbos, black english/irish satin dumbos. and both of the above in rex. The satin self blacks are beautiful. So shiney. I love the self blacks. They behave the same as my others.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I was refering to a different rat species... Rattus rattus, Black Rat, sometimes known as the "Ship Rat"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Rat

Not to be confused with the Brown Rat, Rattus norvegicus (Norway Rat)...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Rat

Which is what you're referring to with your black selfs. :)

Yes, I know you know that. I was clarifying for those who don't know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My black selfs are just black Norways. The black roof rats are pretty willey. And not as big. I am going to start taking pics of each rat to keep in it's file. I think that dumbo satin selfs might be my fav. Especially the different shades of blues.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
FreedomDove said:
I have several self black satin dumbos, black english/irish satin dumbos. and both of the above in rex. The satin self blacks are beautiful. So shiney. I love the self blacks. They behave the same as my others.
The black rats we get are all of the same type, its just a colour so they will always act like domestic rats.

Btw Satins are not shiny like you think. they have longer sparser coats and almost look greasy. I have a friend who breeds them.

This boy was bred by NeoRats out of TEK stock.

Here is a link explaining Satin coats to the uninitiated.

http://www.ratregistry.org/satin.htm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts