Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new rat owner and have two rats for 1.5 weeks. They are two females and are 3 months old. Different breeds. One has grown and filled out more than the other. The bigger one is more social and friendly. The bigger one chases the smaller one around the cage at night and jumps on her and looks like she's attacking and biting her and the other one seems as if she is crying. This has happened for three days now. Even one of my dogs who are growing to accept the rats well did not like one rat attacking the other. Since we are new at this I am assuming the larger rat is displaying dominance over the other rat. The smaller rat seems to accept her role, but she keeps getting attacked. The big rat speedily runs around the cage and then jumps on the smaller one. My kids and I give them plenty of social time with us and try to let them run around for exercise. I am very disturbed by this. Both rats are gentle with us. Can I do anything about the aggressiveness? I have dogs so I am familiar with the dominance issue, but I can train them not to display that. What can I do?

Laura

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
All pet rats are the same breed, unless you've fetched a rattus rattus (black roof rat) or African Soft-Furred rat...

Have the rats drawn blood? If they haven't it may just be dominance. It's also how rats tend to play. If they are displaying true aggression (drawing blood), then there's an issue. Did you get them from the same place, have they been together before you got them?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, rats tend to do some pretty intense playing. If it doesn't look like the smaller rat has any wounds or bleeding then they're probably just having what I like to call a squeekdown.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts