Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 rats, all females. I just got my most recent rat about a month ago, and one of my girls just will not take to her. She'll bite to draw blood, attack, pounce, anything really. I have to spray her with the spray bottle to make her stop. The new rat has trouble fighting back, and usually just lays there crying. They're fine on nuetral ground, but the minute they're in the free range area, it's over, as well as the cage, no matter how much I clean it. Also, the agressive rat doesn't touch the other old rat, mostly because she can fight back just as easily. What am I supposed to do?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Besides the stickies on this site, there are some great videos on You Tube about aggressive rats. Just search rats or aggressive rats. I've been soaking up the wisdom from this site and YouTube. Plus you get to see a bunch of cute rats...

·
Registered
870 Posts
One thing that worked for me was to separate the aggressive rat and put her alone in another cage for a week, then try introductions again. I had a bigger mischief at the time and this gave the girls the aggressive one didn't like time to be incorporated into the group. Then the aggressive rat had a bit different attitude when she came back to the group.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
How did u do intros?

Cleaning the cage is an important step, I find sometimes people miss the little nooks that can collect urine. And sometimes they forget to clean the water bottles, food dishes, beds, toys, etc... Same with their play area.

Starting over from the beginning can help. Another way is something similar to what Rainbear suggested. Alot of people switch out the cages for alittle bit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely cleaned the cage out. Multiple times, just because I wasn't sure. This isn't the first time something like this happened. She hated being around my sister's rats when I was babysitting, but the other rats had their own cage so it wasn't a big deal. I do have a spare cage that the agressive girl is currently in, and has been in for about two days. My newbie and the non-aggressive rat aren't really used to eachother yet, so no bonding has been done, which is why I haven't even tried reintroducing them in the cage, only on nuetral ground. I'm just really confused as to why my rat is so agressive to any rat that's not my non-aggressive older rat.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
This is why I find girl intros harder than boys, they can take a dislike and be quite nasty with it. Boys are nice and predictable most of the time.

With your girl theres a couple options, the first is to spay her. This may sound extreme but in more cases than most people are aware of on spaying a doe who is grumpy / aggressive its not uncommon to find irregularities in her womb / ovaries, like polycystic ovaries, polyps etc. These can make them feel grumpy and hormonal, and spaying fixes this. If she's just highly strung, again spaying can often help though less dramatically than castrating a hormonal buck. It does usueally mellow them though.

The next option it to try a different approach with intros, it sounds like a neutral space works well, so after having a break for a week or so start again in a neutral space. This time rather than moving into the big cage move the group into a neutral small cage, try and do this in a room they are unfamiliar with, and ideally woul want something too small for them to live in perminantly (so like a low hamster type cage), it needs to be bare and only have a couple of water bottles and floor covering. Food should be scatter fed and they shouldn't have anywhere to hide. You leave them in this for as long as it take for them to settle down and relax with each other for a good time (not merely sleeping together but not flinching when each other moves suddenly say). Then you can add a hammock or similar in (no enclosed beds or dead ends). If this goes well then you can upgrade them to a larger empty cage, again giving them time to settle before adding things. Any problems you can move back a step, it tends to work in most cases, but if your girl has hormone issues she is still likely to be too sharp with the others, especially if she's taken a dislike to your new girl.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Watching this thread. My girl Tali is very violent towards my new girls. Even when I am holding them both, she goes on an attempted murder spree.

she's currently the only girl in a cage of boys (all spayed and neutered) since she lost her sister a few months ago. She gets along fine with the boys, but she hasn't bonded closely with any of them really.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts