Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Having recently lost the cagemate to my lovely boy, I was given two males, one a PEW (blind) and the other a hooded, and after their quarantine decided to introduce them. First introductions in the bath went well and after a few nights of this and seeing how they got on in my bedroom (also neutral territory) decided to cage them together.
They seemed to be getting on ok but with the odd minor scuffle, until one night my original boy and the hooded with the PEW became terrified of PEW to the point I couldn't get them back in the cage, they squeaked whenever he went near, and would be beside themselves to escape him clawing my arm in the process of getting away. I noticed they both had scabs on their rumps, some quite large, so decided to take it back a few steps and ended up housing these two together with the PEW on his own in a separate cage as they were so terrified of him, and they now seem quite content.
The PEW hates being on his own and has taken to chewing the bars which breaks my heart to see, and whilst I have him out often on his own running around, I can't have them out together as if he so much as catches a whiff of the others, he chases them and arches his back and sidles before biting, going for their toes and rumps and the other two have ended up with a few more wounds because I have made the mistake of thinking they were getting on or just playing!
I've tried going back to the bath where there is no sign of aggression at all but as soon as they are allowed to roam or are in the cage (regardless of my having cleaned it to get rid of scent), they fight. I've also tried bathing them and vanilla essence to reduce scent but to no avail. I suspect PEW has epilepsy so monitoring him for that, and all boys are at least 18 months old (exact age not known) so neutering would be pretty risky.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really hate having PEW on his own :( Sorry for the length, just feel some background is needed!
Thanks, Rachel

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I'd try really hands on playtime where you actively discourage aggression. Be the group leader and see if he challenges you or if he backs down, then stay on top of him so he doesn't get the wrong ideas about pushing the other's around... Start there and see how this goes...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts