Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you all know I have struggled with Dahlia and bonding with her. So I tried something different today!

Instead of offering my hand to climb up on to come out to me so I don't have to grab her (scares her) I offered my arm instead and eureka! She came right out and sat on my shoulder! So it's not that she isn't bonded it's just that hands are scary. Delilah has always hopped right out onto my hand so I guess in my mind that's how it was supposed to be and I never even thought to try something else. Now it's like DUH! I knew something was off because during free time she's actually always all over me and follows me just like Delilah. So she does like me it's just my hands she hates lol.

I'm going to try this with Doralita now, she is really skittish just like Dahlia. Although with the bonding pouch and lots of extra one on one time she is coming around quickly :) Bonding is definitely going much smoother this time around since I've had some trial and error with the older girls :)

Really, really dumb question, the humane society told me the girl who turned her in says she bought her from Petco from the tank with all the rats for snake food, do those rats grow to regular size? They listed her as 5 months but she's even smaller than the other girls and they were guesstimated at about 4ish months when I got them a couple weeks ago. Either they are older than that, she's younger than 5 months, or she is a dwarf o_o

She actually likes the bonding pouch, she's the only one lol

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Cheers on the good work!

Yes, they do. They're just separated by age and labeled by size at that age for snakefood purposes. But, just like people, some rats are much smaller or larger than others, and past care was not likely to be great where she came from, so it may have impacted her growth. Dwarfs are very uncommon in the pet and feeder populations so it's much more likely she's just a smaller girl or perhaps younger than the others.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blackthorn! So she might just be small, fine with me either way. She's so small and fluffy!

SO excited, both Dahlia and Doralita walked out of the cage onto my arm all on their own today! Dahlia hopped right up onto my shoulder but Doralita just sniffed and ran back in. Still, for day 3 I think that's pretty darn good!

What is a yummy treat no rat can resist? Doralita is either picky or too stressed out to eat anything I offer her. No cheerios, bananas, sunflower seeds, not even chocolate! Not even if I set it down next to her in the cage and walk away :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts