Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I recently lost my hamster and I am thinking of getting two rats, I have the Alaska cage already, would this be ok if I created levels through attaching bridges and other things into the cage? Alaska Hamster Cage
Also I have never owned or know anyone who has owned rats before, any tips for a first time owner?

·
Registered
242 Posts
You can use the cage calculator to see if the size is good enough: ratclub.org - cage calculator
If it is big enough as long as you use the space wisely (add levels, hammocks, toys) then it should be fine. The main thing about rats is that they are very smart and social so they require lots of stimulation and lots of time to engage with you. Do you have any specific questions you'd like answered about owning rats?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any particular rats your recommend? I have found someone local who has some babies which have been well handled, they are both top ear rats, one a silver colour and one a black Rex. I don’t particularly want to get them from a store as I would like them to be well handled. How easy are they to tame? I have guinea pigs which are really social too, however, when can you get the rats out as they are nocturnal aren’t they?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Rats who are well handled are great to get. It doesn't really matter what type of rat you get, they are all the same just different colors, coat types, etc. Although I think hairless rats are more prone to skin problems.

The problem for stores is that the ones that don't breed their rats, you don't know what the breeding conditions are like and therefore don't know what your supporting (and you might end up with a timid or pregnant rat), besides for that pet stores aren't necessarily bad as long as you get from a store with good living condition, healthy, and well handled rats.

Rats are easier to tame compared to the other rodent pets I've had (guinea pigs, hamster, mice). Each rat has its own personality but generally they are very trusting to you as you get to know them. Their body language is also very easy to read so you can tell when they are afraid or annoyed and then work to change that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh perfect, any differences between having a pair of females or a pair of males? Are rats smelly? I know my little hamster was a little smelly

·
Registered
242 Posts
Females are more playful than males, they're smaller, smarter, and poop in the litter box more often 😂
Males are bigger, calmer, like to be pet rather than play, fight more heavily with their cage mates as they get older

Smell wise, they are as clean as cats, they can groom up to 3-4 hours a day, the only reason why they would be smelly is if their cage is neglected, if they have an infection, or if they got into something nasty.

·
Registered
794 Posts
At only 44 cm (17 inches) in height, it's a bit short. The cage has an interior space of 6 cubic feet which is pretty small. I definitely think that by some people's standards, this is not an acceptable permanent home for any number of rats. I wouldn't personally judge you if you chose to use it but I would probably recommend getting something a little larger.

·
Registered
794 Posts
There aren't any real set minimums so opinions can be subjective. Personally, I think 60 cm (24 inches) is a good starting height because it allows for plenty of space for creating different levels. 45-55 cm (17-22 inches) might be okay but it's just a bit more limited.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, well I’m not rushing into anything and will have to research whether this cage will work for putting more levels in, I can’t really get one any taller and be in an area in which people are there most of the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts