Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been making my own homemade mix lately and it also includes HT2018 as well as some Oxbow RR pellets. The dog food I use is some organic brand that's 24% protein. Since I've started this mix, their fur is looking loads better and is a lot softer.
Anyway, I was in Petsmart earlier today and looking through the foods hoping to find some RR on sale (no luck). In the ferret section (not sure why we have this since ferrets are illegal in CA), I found various freeze dried proteins like chicken, salmon, and chicken mixed with spinach bits by All Living Things. I looked at the ingredients, and there are no preservatives or chemicals listed. I'd like to add these to the mix in the future, especially since salmon is such a great protein for so many health reasons.
However, I want to make sure that this is OK. Not to mention the salmon is >78% crude protein, and the chicken is >64% chicken. The bags don't contain very much; but since it's so high in protein, if I were add this (namely the salmon) to the mix, would I cut back on the dog food amounts so that the protein levels aren't too high?

Sorry that this is so long winded.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
How old are your rats. At 18% protien as s base i wouldn't be adding any more protien add it will only push it even higher and whilst a rat worth too much protien would have a lovely soft shiny coat it would affect it negatively long term.

The freeze dried protien sounds great but as pay off a lower protien mix or a high protien treat

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i would be moving then onto a more adult mix now so just the oxbow pellets. You can give them treats of the freeze dried protien or look to make a complete homemade mix to feed alongside the oxbow but keep it reasonable protien

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I'm trying to make a homemade mix with the Oxbow and I was wondering if I could add the freeze dried protein to the mix... Each bag is about 1 handful, so could I just lower the amount of dog food in the mix and replace it with the freeze dried stuff?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The trouble is for adult rats (which yours are kind of on the cusp of) you want a protien percentage of around 14%. Your currently using;
Oxbow - at 14%
HT - at 18%
Dog food - at 24%
and you want to add in stuff at 68-74% protien

Depending on the rest of your mix this could even out at quite a high level, possibly well over the 14% ideal. If you could list your ingredients and the amount you feed of each then i can work out if it looks balanced. Also if you mix by weight or valume can really affect things

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.