Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has any input. I've heard the squeaks, I've heard the chatter and I've heard the bruxing, but one of my rats sometimes makes these noises that's almost like a guinea pig. It usually lasts a few minutes. This time it started when they got all excited that I filled their dish with fresh veggies (their favorite treats, those little health nuts!). I doubt it's a health related issue since they both went to the vet last week (one had the beginnings of a repertory infection but she's been on antibiotics since). Any info would be great!

Oh, here's a great site that I found on rat chatter, etc. They even have audio samples!

Norway Rat Vocalizations

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Makes noises like a guinea pig?...When I think of that I think is screeching or screaming! That wouldnt sound healthy at all in my opinion for a rat. That sounds painful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the thing though: it definitely wasn't a schriek. It was more like bruxing with soft vocalizations added to it. I guess I just mentioned a guinea pig because I've heard them make those soft "oinking" noises. It started the moment she saw that I put her treats in her bowl and ended when she stopped eating.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
lol thats weird...Well, every rat is different, maybe she was just happy and thast the way she shows it? Has it happend more than once?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is actually the first time I've heard this, but I've only had the girls for about 3 weeks. Maybe it was just a happy thing..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Haha I use to have this guinea pig when I was little that would screech everytime I even just looked at him...yeah I didn't really play with him much.Not so nice o__O

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha, thanks! I sort of have this fascination with Japanese culture and I love Japanese names so I had one of my coworkers (whose from Tokyo) help me out with them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts