Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have two male rats that I bought back in June at a pet store that was not taking care of them. I took them straight to a local exotic vet who diagnosed the babies with URI and said that they will most likely have myco issues the rest of their lives. I have since moved and have had some trouble finding a reliable vet. The last vet I took too I have more confidence in than most in the area but I am still unsure. He said my Scabbers was not experiencing a myco flareup like I had thought but an allergy to his bedding. (I use care fresh) He said there is some ingredient in it that begins with a V that he has noticed many ratties are allergic to. He also suggested I switch the bedding to aspen. Has anyone else ever heard or experienced this? Is aspen safe for rats? He has been sneezing a couple of times a day but it seems to be a dry sneeze like an allergy would be. I just want to be sure he doesn't need an antibiotic because if he does I of course want to take him to another vet asap. My other rat Carl never seems to have any problems and the only time he has sneezed more than once in a blue moon was when I first got him from the stupid pet store.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Aspen is safe for rats. :) just freeze it before you use it to kill any bugs that may be in the bag.

Sneezing a couple of times a day seems to be typical for rats with myco, my boy has it and also does this. Have you ever heard of Booster dietary supplement? I give some to my boy a few times a week and it seems to help reduce his myco symptoms a lot and he's just generally healthier than he was. also from a pet store like yours.

Have you considered using fleece blankets? That's what I use, and I add shredded brown paper so they can still have something to rummage around in. Totally safe and dust free. There's stuff you can buy called Eco bedding, which is just purely brown paper, or you can rip up your own like I do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the booster you're talking about the one for birds? Sorry I am just trying to google it and thats the one that keeps popping up. I've heard of it for birds from when I've worked with them, use to throw some in the babies formulas if they were a little on the small side. I will buy anything that helps my little boy sneeze less.
Do you change out the fleece blankets daily? and just wash with normal detergent or bleach? I had been leaning towards using some sort of fleece or blanket for a while now just was unsure of what way to maintain it best

1 - 3 of 3 Posts