Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you get red and bumpy on your neck when you let your rats climb on neck neck?
It doesn't really happen to me, but my husband gets all red, bumpy and itchy. My daughter gets a little red but not like him. My son and I don't get anything like that.
Dance really loves to burrow in your shirt so she gets in there.
I put a couple of small nail-file-perches across the walkways, maybe I need more.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's because of the urine that gets on their nails, and into the scratches. My boyfriend gets really red bumpy rashes wherever the rats scratch him, but he says it doesn't itch too much. I get a little red but not bumpy, but more red than from scratches from other sources. I don't really know what to do about it though.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I get that, unfortunately. I'll let my girls run around on me, always with a sweatshirt, and my neck ends up looking like I've got chicken pox again.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with a solution, either. I'm going to try something to keep their nails shorter, hopefully that'll help, but all I've been able to do it just play with them on the bed, and very rarely pick them up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm.. I can't even being to imagine how to go about this, but maybe they could get a little foot bath before he lets them on him.
They are still little, so I am afraid to cut their little nails. I was thinking about coating one of their ramp with a super fine sand paper. Would that be okay?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I'd worry about the sand paper, it could hurt their paws. But then again, maybe a little toughening up would be okay.

If you wanted to wait a bit, I'm going to test out a product for trimming nails. It's not here yet, should arrive on Saturday. It's a high grit abrasive (maybe sandpaper, I dunno), covered by a squishy mesh. You put it in their wheel for two nights every couple of weeks, and it grinds down their nails.

I'm really excited, I hope this thing helps me play with my girlies! Either way, I'll definitely do a product review for anyone else interested.

(There's another thread about it, "Opinions on Automatic Nail Trimmer" in General Topics that I started when I found out about this thing)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay thanks. My girls don't pay any attention to their wheel, they are still small and cannot make it do anything yet, or maybe they just don't care for it.
Could you put this stuff somewhere besides a wheel, like a ramp or walkway?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hmm. Probably you could put it somewhere else, it comes in a flat thing that you shape into wheel shape... You'd probably want a ramp, or something steep, so that they use their nails a little for traction...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts