Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Neera has finished her medication and she seems much better. Her head tilt got better but I think she'll permanently have a slight tilt. She doesn't have balance problems anymore though, so I think her ear infection is cured. Her eye is looking better as well, but she is still sneezing. She has been sneezing since I got her and I hoped the Baytril from the ear infection would cure any respiratory problems she might have been having. She hasn't had any wheezing and when I rat-phone her she sounds clear to me... She just sneezes some. Could this possibly be allergies and what should I do if they are?

I've also noticed that though my babies are getting more confident with me, they seem frightened by the space in my room. It also terrifies them if I move too fast some times. Is this just an effect from their vision or should I really try to be more careful? They will run all over my room and aren't scared of investigating certain areas but then they suddenly crouch down and crawl in others. For instance, normally Dela walks up on her toes with her tail above the ground, but when she goes towards my desk she crouches low on her feet and she drags her tail along the ground.

I do have a bird in my room, which they sometimes get frightened by when she screeches at me. Sadly, I cannot remove my rats or my bird from my room. I had hoped they would get used to her and they seem to have, but she still scares them occasionally. I also have my dog in my room (Who I trust completely to not hurt them and I do not allow her to go towards my rats. I only let them come to her. If I touch my dog, Izzy, if she gets too excited, she will sit back down and wait until I tell her she can get back up). Dela will go towards Izzy occasionally but other times she seems nervous about her. Should I try to carefully introduce them and see how they do? As a bit of background Izzy is a small maltese dog who stays with me and really does not like being locked out of my room. I would like to be able to have her in my room with my rats if at all possible. There is also a second dog in the house who is my step-moms. I do not let him in my room because when he slipped in once he chased Dela from outside the cage. Will his scent be frightening to them though?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Could be allergies. One of my girls, Ollie, she has always been a little sneeze-y. Some days less or more than others. But she sounded clear, no snot, no wheezing, and the vet checked her as good to go. So I always assumed she just had an extra sensitive nose or allergies. Do you have benedryl you could give her? I have never given any to Ollie, but I think you can get childrens liquid benedryl over the counter and get dosing info online. BUT I would not recommend that. I would take her to the vet to get the dosing info and possibly even the benedryl (not sure if they will provide it to you, I have never asked).

Its good that your babies are getting a little more confident. I think its normal for the to be overwhelmed by really big areas that they are not used to yet. My girls still get a little freaked out if I get up too quickly (not like they used to though when I first brought them home). Just move a little slower around them until they get more used to your movements. I have never seen any of my girls crouch and creep toward anything, but it sounds like yours may just be suspicious :p (Someone correct me if I am wrong about that..)

It isnt necessary to introduce your rats to your other animals. But if you want to have your dog safely interact your rats, you could introduce them, but be really really alert and be ready to intervene if needed. My dog never paid any mind to my rats, smelled them, looked disgusted, and walked away! Haha! Its always interesting to see how other animals interact with one another.
I have read that rats can smell other animals and can be frightened/mad if they smell another animal on you. My girls dont have problems with that, so I cant really give much input on that :p

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long should it take for them to get adjusted? I've had them free-ranging in my room for a few weeks now... Should I just take a day on the weekend and let them out for a very long time so they can get really get used to it? Should I spread out hiding places more so they feel like they're more secure? As for my dog... I really don't want them to be frightened of her. Should I just keep going is as usual and letthem gradually get used to her or should I do an immersion type thing with them?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Suddenly Neera's head tilt has come back... I can't see any obvious balance problems but her head tilt definitely seems worse than it was a few days ago. I gave her the Baytril for the full recommended time (10 days when the recommendation was 7-10) so why is her head tilt getting worse? Is her ear infection coming back? Also, where she had an abscess on her throat that I drained is still swollen. Could she have had swollen lymphnodes and an abscess?

I really don't trust my vet to look at Neera properly. I don't mind paying the fees, I understand they're necessary, but I hate to pay a vet who I feel is not giving my babies the care they deserve. I'd be willing to find another vet but my parents have to drive me to the vet and honestly, they dislike my rats. They don't see why I should take them to the vet. If at all possible, I would like to avoid the vet...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I read in your thread that you have a bird in your room too. Bird dust (those white flakes birds have) can perhaps be causing allergies with your Ratties. I unfortunately had to rehome my birds many years ago due to my son being asthmatic. His asthma worsened terribly, just to figure out eventually, that the birds were causing it due to their dust.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bird has a sound-resistant cage that my dad made for her that is covered by plexiglass. She does have air holes that allow sufficient air flow, but is this a better cage to keep the bird dust from getting out than a regular wire cage is?

·
Registered
307 Posts
My bird has a sound-resistant cage that my dad made for her that is covered by plexiglass. She does have air holes that allow sufficient air flow, but is this a better cage to keep the bird dust from getting out than a regular wire cage is?
That's actually a brilliant idea how your dad made that for you. It will help allot for the bird dust not to float in the air. I can also suggest to move the rats to another area when you do clean the bird 'cage' out. This will also help😊 how is the sneezing? Any better?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, her sneezing does seem better lately. I'll be really careful with my bird's dust and try and keep Neera from being near it. Thank you do much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.