Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I haven't been on much lately, i apologize. I made a thread about this a month or so ago, but i never got the time to get on and reply. I'm going to give it a go one more time. This time i promise to reply. :) So back in August, I posted about Remy having a choking incident. When he finally got over it, he looked like he was at death's doorstep. Such severe respiratory distress was present, and he was making congested, loud monkey noises, he wouldn't eat or drink and was extremely lethargic. I was thrilled to see him still alive the next morning. That day I brought him in to the vets. This vet was very nice, but she doesn't specialize in exotics like my usual vet does. She used a large stethoscope, and my other vet uses a baby one since they are so small and can probably pick up on things more than the larger ones. She said he sounded fine, and he had actually perked up. She put him on 2 weeks of antibiotics (i dont know which one in particular, probably baytril) and benebac. He made noises the first few days, then they stopped and he made a full recovery by the end of the month. And then by the beginning of September, his symptoms started to show again. He made the congested clicks, the monkey noises, had the poryphin, would be at times lethargic, and made wheezing noises too, along with sneezing fits. This has continued on up to now. It was really bad today. So bad he doesnt stop for awhile. I have been giving him dark chocolate to help, and it does seem to for a little bit. I don't know what to do at this point. I'm wondering if its allergies? If something is just aggravating his respiratory? r if this is very serious, and I should take him to the vets? Thanks for any help provided. <3

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have similar problems with Gustav.
Allergies can aggravate any respiratory problems (according to my vet) and could be kicking off the infections. I'd suggest looking at pollen counts for the times that the URIs started to find possible suspects. Some rats are just highly susceptible to respiratory problems and the slightest thing will cause lung inflammation.

If you have or can get a nebulizer, sometimes that can help with relief- once in the morning and once in the evening can help break up the mucus.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have similar problems with Gustav.
Allergies can aggravate any respiratory problems (according to my vet) and could be kicking off the infections. I'd suggest looking at pollen counts for the times that the URIs started to find possible suspects. Some rats are just highly susceptible to respiratory problems and the slightest thing will cause lung inflammation.

If you have or can get a nebulizer, sometimes that can help with relief- once in the morning and once in the evening can help break up the mucus.
I read your post yesterday. :) My mom seemed to think that maybe it could be allergies also. I wouldn't doubt it. I make sure to try and keep things very clean around him now. Last night i replaced one of his hammocks with another since it smelled of ammonia, which could've very well been aggravating his respiratory tract. I will definitely look into pollen counts though. Im allergic to it myself, so on days where I'm sneezing over it then maybe he might be too. Today he had a bad episode again. Then he sneezes and it eventually fades. I gave him some special dark chocolate which seems to help.

I'll look into getting one. I never knew they were safe to use for them. Does it have to be a certain size or anything else specific? Also, you have Gustav on antibiotics, right? Do you think that maybe I should bring Remy in and get him on another dosage?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Our rats have never had a URI... we take them outdoors as pups and let them sniff around in the dirt a bit... I never thought about it, but for sure they are picking up bacteria and such as they sniff around... Whether the outdoor experience inoculates the rats or if they pick up beneficial bacteria they need to stay healthy, I can't say... Or maybe I've just been lucky to get all rats that don't get URI's? Maybe the solution is just to bring in a couple pots of outdoor dirt and let your rat sniff and dig around in them.... I can't say and don't know, it just seems odd that our rats never get URI's.

Best luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts