Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting rats in a few weeks, and I'm sooo excited! But my roommate brought up a potential snag-

Her boyfriend is extremely allergic to cats and dogs.

So I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of similarities there were between cat/dog and rat allergies. The boyfriend himself seemed unaware that one COULD be allergic to rats, but then, I don't think he's ever really been around them. He does get very itchy, though, even a week or two after a dog has left a room where he's sleeping.

Obviously, if I get the rats, they're not going back. But, neither is this guy- he's been my roomie's bf for more than a year, and they're quite serious and long term. Plus he's a really cool guy, I like him a lot, and he'll likely be over quite often.

Sooo... anyone know if I CAN have rats, with this allergic person in my apartment? We were going to go to PetCo and do a test run, but if he gets allergic there, could it just be from the dogs and cats wandering around, and not the rats? And if I got them, and kept my door closed and maybe got an air purifier, would that work? Or maybe the allergies don't correspond at all, I dunno.

Any help or information would be appriciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi!

I am very allergic to cats, and I recently got a rat. I'm sad to say that I sneeze like crazy whenever I get around our rattie. So do my daughters! It's hard to say though for your roommates bf though...I react differently to each animal I come into contact with. I've also noticed that it's only when I'm in direct contact with Serafina that I'm sneezing. Keep your cage in your room and don't bring him/her out when bf is there, and you could be okay!

Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
We found out that my wife is also allergic. We have three little guys. Two of them are in a room (quarentine). Any time she went in there her sneezing got really bad.

We didnt want to give them up.
We did some research and found that air pureifiers and claritin really helped out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts