Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My younger rat has suddenly become very lethargic.At about 7 PM, an hour ago for me, i got him out to play.He's usually very energetic but today he preferred to sleep on my lap.An hour later he'd just move around stopping to rest every few steps.I took him and he seems not to be able to put any resistance.Hes weak and falls asleep quickly.Hes never like this not even mid day.Hes usually groggy for a minute then back to his old self.He doesn't even try to lift his body properly when he moves.
The other rat seems fine, they have enough water, they're not couching and there are no signs of diarrhea.His coat is very fluffed for some reason.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Are his sides sunken? Any drooling or foaming at the mouth? What color are his gums, toes, tail tip and ears? Is there any way he could have gotten into anything poisonous? How's his breathing?
He needs to get to a vet asap. I lost my boy not to long ago and he was showing the same symptoms that your's is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that is something he ate too...But the other one ate the same things and he's fine.The last thing he ate was a piece of banana.The last few hours he stayed in his cage so he didn't have access to poisons.Maybe he chewed on something toxic...Hes not foaming, color is fine but he's respiratory rate seems slow to me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but has he had banana before? Just thinking that maybe the banana gave him some reaction seeing as though it was the last thing he had. Let us know how his doing. Hope all is ok...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Do you have any oxygen tanks and a small mask? Or an albuterol inhaler? Those would be very helpful right now. I still say he needs a vet pronto; My Jude was showing the exact same symptoms as your Ally. It was on a Sunday so I couldn't get him in on time. It started out just like he's doing now but over the course of 18 hours he had three seizures out of the blue, the last one was brutal and he died in my arms.
I don't want to see that happen to your boy, so if you can get him to a vet please do. He has a much higher chance of survival with his doctor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I've got no vet I can take him to until the morning which is a long way to go.He has eaten banana before.His walking is bad, wobbly and uncoordinated but he's eating, tho he can hardly position himself and bring food to his mouth and he's also drinking water.Seems quite muscular or brain damage to me.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
That sounds like a stroke. Can you get him to drink anything? You don't want him to get dehydrated, that'll make it worse. Is his breathing still bad? If you don't have any oxygen do you have an inhaler? A humidifier would help but a steamed up bathroom would work too. Turn on the shower to hot and sit in the bathroom with him for 15-20 minutes.
All I can suggest is to keep him warm and hydrated along with the other methods.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
His breathing is actually better though he's still weak and he's movement still bad.He's quite young for a stroke.Fortunately he doesn't seem to have lost his appetite and he drinks water.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Just keep him warm and hydrated until morning and pop him to the vets asap. If he fell and was injured steroid effectiveness depends on response time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what it was but he is back in shape today.Vet said that he probably ate something that made him sick but we have no idea what that might have been.The good thing is that he recovered both his strength and equilibrium.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts