Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

My family and I are in the process of getting our first two rats. We have two baby sisters picked out from a breeder and are waiting for them to be old enough to come home. In the meantime, we are gathering supplies and shopping for just the right cage. We're actually a little worried about making sure the cage is large enough for them to grow into, but that the bar spacing is narrow enough to prevent them from escaping while they are still small. Anyway, we're super excited to be adding two new members to our family of 5 (including our dog Belle).

The rats are a birthday present for our daughter; we are surprising her by going to pick them up on her birthday without her knowing. But, quite honestly, I know they're just as much for the rest of the family as they are for her. We have been reading rat care/training related books from the library, and she has even chosen to study rats as a 4-H project this year!

Looking forward to getting to know the community here and learn lots more about our future new pets! (Below are the two the breeder has on hold for us!)

Mammal Vertebrate Rat Mouse Muridae Rat Blue Muridae Mouse Rodent

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was almost hesitant to change my intro, because mine sounds almost the exact same as yours. Congrats on the new pets and look forward to seeing them grow. We have yet to get our rats but maybe we can swap ideas down the road. I loved seeing the 4-H project idea!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum. Your new girls are adorable! Rats are amazing pets u will be surely happy!
In the meantime, we are gathering supplies and shopping for just the right cage. We're actually a little worried about making sure the cage is large enough for them to grow into, but that the bar spacing is narrow enough to prevent them from escaping while they are still small.
Larger cages are always better. You should get a cage that has at the least 2.5 cubic feet per rat. Tall cages are awesome as they love to climb.

Bar spacing should be 1/2 inch. babies can't get through that. 1 inch spacing is popular but even some smaller adult females can slip through. You do have the option of wrapping the cage in hardware cloth to prevent escaping but...in all honesty it is a pain to work with and alot of frustraiting work. And doesn't look all that great. if you are buying a brand new cage I'd always suggest getting an ideal one from the start.

Be wary of plastic bottoms. Not every rat, but many like to chew and have been known to chew through the plastic bottom leaving a big hole to escape from. This just means rats without a home and alot of wasted money on a now trashed cage.

The critternation (not ferretnation) is probably the best you can get. Along with its petsmart copy the All Living Things Multi-level. martins cages are also another big favorite of mine.
The rat manor from I think petco is another cage many ppl get, there are some negatives but it is cheaper.

Goodluck with your babies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts