Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm done with boy rats. I don't want anymore. I love them, of course, I love all rats. But from now on I'm only having one gender at a time and I prefer girls so I'm not getting anymore boys, especially not young boys as mine are all 1.5 years old now. However, that being said, my resolve was severely tested by my local pet shop the other day. All the pet rats are bred by the owner and only feeder rats come from mills so the pets are all very pretty with good temperaments. Basically, I'm used to wanting to take them all home when I walk in. But this one was hard to say no to. He was a ruby eyed, rex, dumbo, Russian dove variegated hooded who was so friendly he wanted to climb all over you and I wanted him so very badly that if he'd been a girl I probably would have gone home with him... But I don't want another 2+ years of a split DCN and I probably can't afford a neuter anytime soon so he stayed where he was. I haven't been back since because if he's still there my will power will crumble for sure. I hope he gets a good home...

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
You did well. I personnaly buy ALL my rats stuff online. It is cheaper and I don't sponsor pet stores selling pets from pet mills that way. Win-win.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Great for the shop owner for breeding his own stock and selecting for good temperament, etc.

I have 2 DCNs for the reason you mentioned. I want to keep both genders and I like being able to split the cages when I need to or leave them open. Unfortunately, I don't have any good stores or other breeders in my area, so I am not usually tempted by random rats lol.

About split DCNs though, I've found my groups spend about 90% of their time in the top half anyway, so I am keeping the cages split right now (even though I don't really need to) just so that I can rotate them to the clean half while I clean the other half.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being able to rotate like that must be useful. My boys aren't very active so they go on the coffee table with a box of fleece scraps that they nap in and my girls get stuck in a spare cage when I'm cleaning

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yeah, it is handy. My crew are far too bad to be left anywhere while I clean. I used to put them in a shower stall (with glass door) that they couldn't escape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts