Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I got a new cage and it is a bird cage so its bloody huge and i couldnt find anything to make levels with so my dad bought aluminium composite panels... was wondering if its alright for rats and if not what else could i use to make the levels?

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I haven't seen this product used in the US, but I looked it up and found this link

http://hongshanpanel.com/aluminium-composite-panels-for-construction-14.html

I usually steer clear of things made in China, not that they don't work as intended, but they tend to suddenly turn out to be toxic when used off label. But to be honest, I don't know enough about the materials in this product to comment, perhaps there is a chemist around that might help.... Otherwise I'd look into the material to see if it has a "food grade" certification. Materials that can be used around food get certified for that purpose which means they don't contain, or at least don't leach something too toxic in normal use.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have no idea, but I have a suggestion for levels. At Dollarama they sell these huge flat 1/2x1/2 mesh grates. They're for putting stuff on to barbique, but they work like magic with a couple of zip ties. And they're only 2 bucks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
So I did a quick Google search, and it's availible here in Canada. You need a crap ton of safety equipment to even cut it, so I'd say no. Apparently testing in animals found that it can irritate skin, eyes and lungs when the surface is dmapened by chemicals. I wouldnt risk it with rat pee.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Just like the US, the far east is finding that there are lots of toxic byproducts being produced in making plastics and chemical products, unlike the US they don't appear to be dumping them, rather they find ways to incorporate the toxic waste into manufacturing other products that aren't typically "for human consumption". And sometimes in the case of the tainted milk and candy, plastic waste has turned up there too.

On one hand, it's nice to think that they aren't polluting their environment, on the other it scares me just a little that they are shipping the toxic waste to us... Isn't getting rid of the waste the reason we off shored the nasty chemical businesses in the first place?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts