Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we had Zeeky neutered over the summer he was already on a round of antibiotics for a URI so I just continued after the surgery. However we just had Buddy done and the vet never mentioned antibiotics. I have some on hand I could give him, should I? His wound doesn't look infected but I don't want him developing an internal infection.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Some vets give antibiotics as a precaution, some don't. What antibiotics do you have on hands and how many days worth of them?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have almost 2 full bottles of Orbax. Which is roughly 150 doses per bottle. So I have plenty. I mainly use it for URIs but I also gave it to Nibbler when he had a severe eye infection and it helped there too.

From what I've read Orbax is in the same class orfantibiotics as Baytril. So it's strong and works well against myco.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I know many vets prescribe baytril to avoid abscesses after neuter...so if Orbax is similar to Baytril, it should work too. I'm not familiar with Orbax, never had it. My biggest concern was if you didn't have enough of it. I would go ahead and do it since you used it in the past with great success.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just worry about resistance. So far Buddy has only had antibiotics once when he had an abscess on his neck. I try not to over treat because I want the antibiotics to work when they really need them. If you don't think they're actually needed and the vet just forgot to mention it, then I'll hold off. I'll keep an eye on it and if anything looks infected then I'll treat him.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I will normally start a rat on baytril (or similar) the day before an op, then continue for 3-4 days post op to give them coverage whilst the wound is fairly open still. I continue longer and switch to a more potent antibiotic if infection sets in.

You don't neccesarily need it, but it can help, particularly in wounds in dodgy areas like a castrate.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I normally don't medicate after small ops like tumour removals (under the skin) or neuters (doesn't seem to prevent neuter abscesses IMO), but will if its more invasive like into the body cavity such as a spay, or an amputation or enucleation.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Oddly, although I don't usually weigh in on these kinds of matters, I just had a couple of surgeries of my own. The surgeon is a professor at the local medical College and is all into the newest techniques and practices. I was honestly surprised when he didn't prescribe antibiotics after the surgery. Apparently, they did give me something intravenously during the surgery to prevent infection and for the first time ever, I didn't run a fever after the surgery.

I suppose, I would speak to the vet and follow his or her recommendation.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bill lists an antibiotic administered during the surgery, so maybe that,s why she didn't have me give him any post op.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
if so it was probably injected baytril, so look out for a baytril burn. I have stated on my file that I don't want baytril injected unless I give specific permission as some do it without thinking or knowing the potential consequences

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
if so it was probably injected baytril, so look out for a baytril burn. I have stated on my file that I don't want baytril injected unless I give specific permission as some do it without thinking or knowing the potential consequences
Besides the Baytril burn which is bad of itself, are there other consequences to it?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
No, its mainly that the injectable suspension (normally 10% dilution) is just to acidic, hence the burns. Once inside its fine, just monitor the area for burns / abscessing. Its the type of thing you would consider if the fact the rat gets the specific antibiotic is more important than the burn risk, though usually there's a better injectable option like amox for none myco issues or draxxin for myco.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts